• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dead Celebrities Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Sylvain Sylvain

Guitarist and founder member of The New York Dolls

Sylvain Sylvain: New York Dolls guitarist dies aged 69 - BBC News
    Bummer that, met him a couple of years ago when he was doing a short tour. Nice chap, great stories
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Another music related bucket kicking.

Talented but flawed producer Phil Spector dies aged 81 - BBC News
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Slightly different PoV in the grauniad
        Phil Spector, pop producer convicted of murder, dies aged 81 | Phil Spector | The Guardian

Comment

Phil Spectre

Comment

The "flawed" bit ended up trending on titter, ie "Shipman was a talented but flawed Doctor.", "Fred West a talented but flawed builder.", etc.

It was altered a few hours later.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Minbari Ambassador Delenn aka Maria Furlan has departed as well sadly.

Gonna have to binge watch Babylon 5 again. Loved it first time and the plot twist at the end was one of the best one's I'd seen to date. I've a feeling it has managed to stand the test of time rather than look awful like some budget sci-fis can over time.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Minbari Ambassador Delenn aka Maria Furlan has departed as well sadly.
                Babylon 5 Star and Lost Actress Mira Furlan Passes Away

65. No age at all. Ho hum.

Bab5 seems to have lost a lot of characters, the good doctor being amongst the first IIRC.

Babylon 5 Actors/Actresses/Personnel Who Have Died - IMDb
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Babylon 5 Star and Lost Actress Mira Furlan Passes Away

65. No age at all. Ho hum.

Bab5 seems to have lost a lot of characters, the good doctor being amongst the first IIRC.

Babylon 5 Actors/Actresses/Personnel Who Have Died - IMDb
                  I must have liked it more than I realise as I remember a majority of those just from Babylon 5 and it's been a very long time since I watched it. Binged session definitely on then.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I must have liked it more than I realise as I remember a majority of those just from Babylon 5 and it's been a very long time since I watched it. Binged session definitely on then.
                    They've recently released "upgraded" HD versions to various online streaming services. The widescreen DVDs were made widescreen by cropping the 4:3 video, which was bad enough. But for CGI scenes, they'd taken them from the original 4:3 PAL DVDs, back-converted them to NTSC, then scaled and cropped them. This made them look absolutely terrible, particularly on a modern TV and especially in scenes that mix live action with CGI.

The new release appears to have been rescanned from the film masters used for the TV broadcasts to produce an HD version without any cropping. This means they're in 4:3 aspect ratio (which never did the ST:TNG upgrade any harm), but the video quality is much improved and is also consistent throughout, rather than having jarring variations in quality from scene to scene.

Having recently been trying to rewatch the widescreen DVD set and repeatedly giving up because of the picture quality, I'd recommend looking for the new versions if you can. They're currently available in the UK on Apple's video store and Amazon Prime (though not "free with"), and maybe they'll appear on other services like Netflix too.

Rumour has it that they'll also be released on Blu-ray in spring, but then again there's been signs and portents of Blu-ray B5 for years now, so who knows if it'll finally happen

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      They've recently released "upgraded" HD versions to various online streaming services. The widescreen DVDs were made widescreen by cropping the 4:3 video, which was bad enough. But for CGI scenes, they'd taken them from the original 4:3 PAL DVDs, back-converted them to NTSC, then scaled and cropped them. This made them look absolutely terrible, particularly on a modern TV and especially in scenes that mix live action with CGI.

The new release appears to have been rescanned from the film masters used for the TV broadcasts to produce an HD version without any cropping. This means they're in 4:3 aspect ratio (which never did the ST:TNG upgrade any harm), but the video quality is much improved and is also consistent throughout, rather than having jarring variations in quality from scene to scene.

Having recently been trying to rewatch the widescreen DVD set and repeatedly giving up because of the picture quality, I'd recommend looking for the new versions if you can. They're currently available in the UK on Apple's video store and Amazon Prime (though not "free with"), and maybe they'll appear on other services like Netflix too.

Rumour has it that they'll also be released on Blu-ray in spring, but then again there's been signs and portents of Blu-ray B5 for years now, so who knows if it'll finally happen
                      I think I understood some of the languanges in Babylon 5 better than that

Comment

Working...
                      X