• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Doable, ask Suity. Next!
    Wouldn't that be a perfect example where it's not?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      it will probably be in a high turn over sweatshops where you won't actually learn much to help you progress, other than how to cut corners and deliver the minimal viable product.

As others have said 2-3 years real world experience in a graduate permie job (where again you will be flogged and worked like a dog) will stand you in better stead for a long term contracting career.
      I hear TATA consulting has some roles going

+1 for getting more real world experience.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        I hear TATA consulting has some roles going

+1 for getting more real world experience.
        TATA and the assorted flavours of Indian shops hire graduates out of uni and ship them off to offices in trucks and get them on to projects straight away. Most of the 5 year+ experienced chaps are Managers and rarely doing any techie stuff.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          TATA and the assorted flavours of Indian shops hire graduates out of uni and ship them off to offices in trucks and get them on to projects straight away.
          Oh, I fully realise that, I have been a "victim" of this policy a number of occasions.

In reality, I was suggesting he get his real world experience elsewhere.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

OP, I would get yourself on a decent Graduate Training Program in a hi tech company; and spend a couple of years picking up business/process skills, project management knowledge etc. Maybe some post grad quals. suited to your industry too.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
              I'm a C# developer with a pretty high first class degree in computer science from a very good uni (also 94+ in all modules related to software engineering). I have worked for 3 IT companies already (roughly 2 years in total now, all .NET related experience). Rather than going for a permie job after graduating - is it feasible to attempt to swim the contractor waters? I have a bit of money saved up so could potentially survive upto 6 months of no pay/set up costs etc. If this is possible - what kind of challenges should I expect/research? Thanks!
              Graduate Guide to Contracting :: Contractor UK

Depends on the contract really and client expectations. Graduate contracts will be for junior roles likely & dont expect training so you need to know what you are doing.

Comment

The whole point of a contractor is you are getting someone experienced who cant get to work right away without much instruction. No matter how bright a graduate is going next to be useless for a few years.

Comment

You can always try? Nothing like you need to leave highly paid job and make this tough leap. Just give it few months or maybe half a year and see if you can get anything. If not, then go permie obviously

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                    No matter how bright a graduate is going next to be useless for a few years.
                    I don't really agree.

Obviously, you have never worked with a really smart graduate, say, with a 1st in Maths, from Cambridge, for example.
                    I have, although they need to be carefully managed, I was surprised, with a little guidance, what they could achieve, in a short space of time.

This, actually, reinforces the point that contracting is not suitable for graduates straight out of uni, in its purest form, as they cannot, usually, manage themselves.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                      You can always try? Nothing like you need to leave highly paid job and make this tough leap. Just give it few months or maybe half a year and see if you can get anything. If not, then go permie obviously
                      I do have to leave a job, as I said, I have already had 3 IT jobs (and have one now)

Comment

Working...
                      X