• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now the European Parliament is telling Osbourne he's a twat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep the Vodaphone one was a complete stitch-up. Followed it with dismay in Private Eye.

Comment

I was there first

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        It's not like they have much say on the matter, the Italians are doing the same despite the claim they were owed 1bn by Google. Google will pretty much do what they want seeing as they have an army of lawyers and accountants.
        They have a lot of say on the matter because state aid in EU is illegal without approval, and low tax deals now deemed as illegal state aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
          Thing is old slope shoulders will start saying "It's nothing to do with me, it's HMRC" when it suits him. Or if he thinks there's some plunder to be had it's his baby.

Multifaceted faced if you ask me.
          The other day when the UQ was asked in Parliament he just happened to off on a jolly with another US tech company who have faced the taxing question, out with o' Mr. Gates, plus have a look at how much in bed the current Tory administration are with Google
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            They have a lot of say on the matter because state aid in EU is illegal without approval, and low tax deals now deemed as illegal state aid.
            Is it a deal though? Or is it Google have said this is all you're getting. I doubt HMRC have any room for negotiation in this otherwise I'm sure they would try to get more, I know what you're saying about state aid but it was hardly a sweetheart agreement like those of the Netherlands and Luxembourg.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Is it a deal though? Or is it Google have said this is all you're getting. I doubt HMRC have any room for negotiation in this otherwise I'm sure they would try to get more, I know what you're saying about state aid but it was hardly a sweetheart agreement like those of the Netherlands and Luxembourg.
              It sounds to me like they got deal NOW, and before they just turned blind eye on it.

UK is second biggest market for Google, I'd be surprised if they made less than £1 bln real net profit per year, so they should be paying £200 mln every year, this makes £130 mln for old years a pathetic figure that should have been much higher, by a factor of 10 I reckon.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the figure Goggle are paying for all the years of back taxes, not the figure per year?

I'd like to bet there's someone in HMRC or the government who has a tidy after career job lined up with Google after they stuffed that one down our throat.

Cynical? Moi?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the figure Goggle are paying for all the years of back taxes, not the figure per year?
                  Yep, all years - possibly 10 or more!

Comment

Still HMRC v Google is like bringing a knife to a gun fight
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Anybody know how much it cost HMRC for 6 years worth of investigation into Google's financial affairs?

Comment

Working...
                      X