• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solicitor's client account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitor's client account

Parents are downsizing and its nearly at the deposit stage.

Deposit (and the balance) is paid into the solicitor's Client Account - is there a way to find out if it is indeed a client account belonging to the solicitors rather than their company account?

This is in case of solicitors going bankrupt.

A solicitor who plays fast and loose with client money doesn't stay a solicitor very long. The Law Society may be known for tending to take the side of its members in disputes, but that's the one thing that will get a lawyer crucified by their own people without mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
      Parents are downsizing and its nearly at the deposit stage.

Deposit (and the balance) is paid into the solicitor's Client Account - is there a way to find out if it is indeed a client account belonging to the solicitors rather than their company account?

This is in case of solicitors going bankrupt.
      Dunno but I think you are covered either way by the Solicitors Regulation Authority Indemnity fund

Our third house suffered from a rogue solicitor - funds we had paid in on completion on the sale of the second house were never released to the mortgage company, instead kept to fund their life style - the first I got wind of it was when the old mortgage company got in touch at my new address about the mortgage arrears
      A quick call and claim to the authorities cleared the outstanding amount. The solicitors were closed down and principles struck off and jailed - and we were not the only ones affected - wonder why supposedly clever people think they can get away with it (you listening Darren?)
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        A solicitor who plays fast and loose with client money doesn't stay a solicitor very long. The Law Society may be known for tending to take the side of its members in disputes, but that's the one thing that will get a lawyer crucified by their own people without mercy.
        Agreed. Hence the need to find out before the deposit is paid..

Any way of doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
          Agreed. Hence the need to find out before the deposit is paid..

Any way of doing that?

Are they your usual solicitor, one that was recommended to you, or the cheapest one you found on the interweb?

If they aren't your usual one, then check them out at the Solicitors Regulation Authority... https://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page
          or the Law Society... Find a Solicitor - The Law Society

Then also search on Google for reviews of them.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Are they your usual solicitor, one that was recommended to you, or the cheapest one you found on the interweb?

If they aren't your usual one, then check them out at the Solicitors Regulation Authority... https://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page
            or the Law Society... Find a Solicitor - The Law Society

Then also search on Google for reviews of them.

They're a reputable firm and certainly not the cheapest. I have no doubt they're competent, its just the issue of the account details provided, I want to be sure its a Client Account.

Comment

Stealing clients money is probably the only thing they can go to jail for ...

I personally would not use small firm, planning to use solicitors that my company is using, pretty old firm...

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Dunno but I think you are covered either way by the Solicitors Regulation Authority Indemnity fund

Our third house suffered from a rogue solicitor - funds we had paid in on completion on the sale of the second house were never released to the mortgage company, instead kept to fund their life style - the first I got wind of it was when the old mortgage company got in touch at my new address about the mortgage arrears
                A quick call and claim to the authorities cleared the outstanding amount. The solicitors were closed down and principles struck off and jailed - and we were not the only ones affected - wonder why supposedly clever people think they can get away with it (you listening Darren?)
                Let me guess, TI clough & co in Bradford?

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                  Let me guess, TI clough & co in Bradford?
                  Nope local firm based in Rainham Kent that did the conveyancing for our first house

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Nope local firm based in Rainham Kent that did the conveyancing for our first house
                    I just googled to try and find any mention of the fraud - but as it was 20+ years ago -i.e. pre internet -there is no mention - but there are an awful lot of solicitors being prosecuted for doing similar things

Comment

Working...
                    X