• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Institute of Directors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Seems to be a very modern trend - market & sell courses for what used to be termed common sense ...
    If it's 3K per person per day, then it's got to be a valuable training course.

A guy I was at university with, after a few years of employment went contracting. Then he set up a consultancy with three other contractors. Eventually sold said consultancy for £15M. He went back to university and got a degree and masters in psychology. Now he's set himself up as a leader trainer and charges ~£3000 per day. And he's still a complete numpty.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Not a member, but I did one of their training days last week, and it was excellent. Members get quite a saving on the training, so if you were considering more than one of their courses, then it would probably be worth the membership fee.

I guess if you're wanting to make a career of being a serial NED, then the networking opportunities would be worth it too.
      I agree - if you are looking to do any of their training, then it's worth being a member so that you get that discount. Also access to the research library may be something that some people want more than the typical BoS contractor, but that's included in the membership as well.

Networking is the important thing - someone on the training course I went on has potentially got an NED role lined up, based on a conversation over dinner that evening.

And the food there is quite good, and reasonable value too
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well just looked this thread,up as searching for some benefits.

A colleague of mine has said that being a member gives you access to Regus offices to use hotdesking for ten days per month as well as lounge access at airports for the money as well.

This does seem to be accurate, but I cannot confirm how much of Regus you can use. Anyone confirm this?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

A colleague of mine has said that being a member gives you access to Regus offices to use hotdesking for ten days per month as well as lounge access at airports for the money as well.

This does seem to be accurate, but I cannot confirm how much of Regus you can use. Anyone confirm this?
          Don't you get this with IPSE membership as well?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Forget it, mate - you can't sleep in them. You'll have to stick to the car.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Don't you get this with IPSE membership as well?
              No idea. If so, then maybe that's worth it. Mudflapper?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarilynFanny View Post
                No idea. If so, then maybe that's worth it. Mudskipper?
                IPSE had a partnership with Neardesk, but I don't believe that's a current offering (it was hardly used by members). Alternatives are being looked at.
                Last edited by mudskipper; 31 August 2017, 07:58.

Comment

A contract ba we have is in it.

Seems to think it makes him an expert on everything.

It doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                  X