• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy-to-let DOOM: investors 'to sell 500,000 properties' as confidence plummets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    If anything else goes up in price it's called "inflation".
    No no no !

Inflation is a very bad, terrible thing, only deflation is worse than it.

On the other hand house price growth is wonderful never ending supply of tax-free money.

Get it right next time!

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
      Oh it gets worse, we bought in a rough area about 6 weeks before the bubble popped in 2008, then couldn't sell it, left it empty while renting so we could get the kids in a good school, killed ourselves on a mortgage plus rent, then finally sold the house, massive lump of negative equity, worked for years to clear it, then more years to get deposit.

We have genuinely caught the dirty end of the dirtiest of sticks.
      First rule of buying property = only buy in areas which are near good schools, leave the dodgy areas to Russian émigrés

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
        Oh it gets worse, we bought in a rough area about 6 weeks before the bubble popped in 2008, then couldn't sell it, left it empty
        Not too dissimilar, we let ours out (still have it). It might bite me in the backside next time we move, and fail the "owning more than one house" test.

Or put one house in my name and the other in the wife's?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Nope, that won't work, in the same way that PPR relief for CGT applies per married couple. You can read the consultation though, as the full proposal is there...

Comment

Not too dissimilar, we let ours out (still have it). It might bite me in the backside next time we move, and fail the "owning more than one house" test.

No can do. Married couples are counted as one unit. I suppose you could get divorced and then buy a 2nd house and then perhaps get married again in the future....

Comment

Children over 18?

I am not UK resident & transferring houses to 2 kids there was a doddle with the help of HSBC Expat. I believe it is no different if you are UK resident and avoid dying within 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                No no no !

Inflation is a very bad, terrible thing, only deflation is worse than it.

On the other hand house price growth is wonderful never ending supply of tax-free money.

Get it right next time!

HTH
                Thank you for clearing that up.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Nope, that won't work, in the same way that PPR relief for CGT applies per married couple. You can read the consultation though, as the full proposal is there...
                  Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  No can do. Married couples are counted as one unit. I suppose you could get divorced and then buy a 2nd house and then perhaps get married again in the future....
                  Interesting, thanks guys.

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  Child over 18?
                  Yes I am
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Blimey

First viewings of the maisonette held today - 2 x eastern european couples put an offer in which was rejected by the missus as she doesn't want 2 x couples (in a 2 bed flat) but intends to hold out for a single couple (who will sublet the second room themselves if they have any sense) or a family

I'd take the money regardless
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      Blimey

First viewings of the maisonette held today - 2 x eastern european couples put an offer in which was rejected by the missus as she doesn't want 2 x couples (in a 2 bed flat) but intends to hold out for a single couple (who will sublet the second room themselves if they have any sense) or a family

I'd take the money regardless
                      Show me the money.

Wife was similar I just said their money paid for this house.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X