• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheating Agent - of the holiday letting variety

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't you just phone and say you found people there when there was nothing in the calendar and ask to have the mistake rectified, then terminate the contract when it ends or earlier if they don't cop to it on the grounds they're in breach?

Showing up at their offices with a tyre iron and shouting might be briefly satisfying, but I think the extra stress isn't likely to be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by deebeegee View Post
      Could be that. I think the cleanest way out is going to be to allow the agent to pretend like it was going on without their knowledge but agree to pay up and end the arrangement

I like the idea of the smart entry systems. We may take on the running of the flat ourselves and that way we could welcome guests remotely if we were not able to be there physically. The added bonus being that we can revoke access to the flat remotely also
      This is what I use. Very elegant solution.

August Smart Lock | August

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        What does your contract say regarding reasons for early termination?
        3 months notice, plus repayment of £2500 marketing fees. Immediate termination in case of material breach which this clearly is; even if it is an honest mistake, it is not the first.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

A lot of people in the States doing Air BnB use things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by deebeegee View Post
            Could be that. I think the cleanest way out is going to be to allow the agent to pretend like it was going on without their knowledge but agree to pay up and end the arrangement

I like the idea of the smart entry systems. We may take on the running of the flat ourselves and that way we could welcome guests remotely if we were not able to be there physically. The added bonus being that we can revoke access to the flat remotely also
            Benefit of fitting something that logs access is that you can then compare to the Calendar. It doesn't look like you suspect them of wrong doing you are just upgrading security on your investment. I like the smart door, how does it work for insurance?

Run for a month or two and see if they repeat the offence, then go in hard expecting X number of month's rents including the rent they seem to have defrauded you of and you now have a record of.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Something taken from you without permission.

Yeah closer to a fraud. I'd be Super Fly TNT.
              FTFY.

Comment

I'd wait for other blank weeks, pop round and if someone's in, talk to them and ask for evidence from them - a receipt of payment or similar to see whether it's agency friends on mates rates or a genuine booking. Then go to CAB or your solicitor and ask for advice on what to do about it. Not sure what the crime would be classed as - something fraud or theft related.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thing with keys they can be copied for £3 without any paperwork. so tenants can pop down to B&Q get keys copied and come back & stay with impunity having phoned up & asked availability without booking.

Something with an electronic key is a little more difficult.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

I like the idea of this. Problem is we have a shared front door (with intercom) and then our own front door. Do you know if there is any smart lock product that would interface with the intercom system (depends on the intercom i suppose). I'd prefer not to have to negotiate with the other flat owners for replacing the shared door lock/intercom system.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      I'd wait for other blank weeks, pop round and if someone's in, talk to them and ask for evidence from them - a receipt of payment or similar to see whether it's agency friends on mates rates or a genuine booking. Then go to CAB or your solicitor and ask for advice on what to do about it. Not sure what the crime would be classed as - something fraud or theft related.
                      We are booked out for a few weeks so we'd be waiting a while. Interestingly there was a gap in the calendar a few days back and sure enough there were guests in the flat. I didn't want to disturb them in case they tipped off the agent but I think that they did hear my key in the lock - there were suddenly some noises coming from inside anyway. Strangely enough a couple of days later the calendar shows the flat as booked. I've been keeping screen shots for future reference/evidence.

Comment

Working...
                      X