• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dispatches: Taxing The Rich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If there is any doubt at all then people get an APN.
    Indeed. Reports in the media today that they've brought in £2bn
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I was very surprised that GAAR and DOTAS weren't spoken about in any detail on the programme.

Interesting too that HMRC could only purport to having 11 successful cases won against aggressive tax avoidance. Hilarious that 5 of those were from the same family, a taxi business! A complete farce from HMRC, and a circus that the media needs to break down to further expose.

Guy Fawkes would be a hero in today's world.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I refuse to celebrate Nov 5, people think I'm strange....

Comment

I was very surprised that GAAR and DOTAS weren't spoken about in any detail on the programme.

Interesting too that HMRC could only purport to having 11 successful cases won against aggressive tax avoidance. Hilarious that 5 of those were from the same family, a taxi business! A complete farce from HMRC, and a circus that the media needs to break down to further expose.

Why do you think HMRC and parliament are the same?

Everyone knows HMRC run the government....

Comment

AIUI it was 11 successful criminal cases i.e. now in prison - there's lots more civil cases

though I may have misheard/misunderstood

Comment

Originally posted by JPC View Post
              So using the tax laws to your advantage is immoral and wrong, what about inheritance tax what about stamp duty.

Seriously **** off.
              WSH, and the OP couldn't even be bothered (or couldn't work out how) to include a link.

Here it is
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

But we’re dealing with a taxpaying population of about 30 million. HMRC puts the figure of the “shadow economy” at 10% of our total tax received. So, aiming to prosecute 1,000 people really is less than useless…
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

And of course one of the biggest elephants (i am aware of) in HMRC's ever so exclusive VIP room is google. Whats to say about that HMRC where's the life changing fines for them and their tax evasion, were they registered with DOTAS (haha). Will HMRC issue an APN under the pretence they have knowingly evaded but not necessarily proven until heard by the upper tier tribunals?

Comment

JPC I could not agree with you more! What winds me up is the media feeding people stories about people others see as rich who are making more money (and its so not fair!)

The 2 things they seem to not realise is a: Not everyone who works their tax in these LEGAL ways are rich and b: they never seem to realise that there are LEGAL ways they use to not pay as much tax like JPC said which they do not register as being the same or even think of full stop.

The moral argument is not an argument at all to me if the HMRC/Government allow it then they can't then moan about it. I asked someone once who went down the moral route if they got given 10k and by using a LEGAL tax method they could keep 8k of it rather then 5k would they say no and they avoided answering!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                      The moral argument is not an argument at all to me if the HMRC/Government allow it then they can't then moan about it. I asked someone once who went down the moral route if they got given 10k and by using a LEGAL tax method they could keep 8k of it rather then 5k would they say no and they avoided answering!
                      The scheme advisers on dispatches were offering a LEGAL way to keep 10k of it - Are you doing that? If not, why not?

Comment

Working...
                      X