• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I should be able to sue plague bearers for lost income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortunatley they have a policy at my current client site that anyone with a contagious illness should work from home if they are fit enough to work at all. Most have laptops so it's all geared up for a bit of WFH.

I myself are 100% WFH currently*, so self quarantined.

* Project work a bit quiet and due to rules of engagement and IR35 I only work on specific projects for the client, so while I may be germ free my recent invoicing is a bit light. Still it's all ammo if HMRC start trying to paint me with the permitractor brush.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Fortunatley they have a policy at my current client site that anyone with a contagious illness should work from home if they are fit enough to work at all. Most have laptops so it's all geared up for a bit of WFH.

I myself are 100% WFH currently*, so self quarantined.
      How do you know you have a contagious illness? Aren't you usually contagious before you have symptoms?

WFH now, but as a contractor I've turned up to client site in a much more deathly state than I ever would as a permie.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

What a load of "mamby pambies".

On average you have a cold for 5 weeks in the year, basically quarantining yourself every time you have a sniffle aint going to work.

You might as well "get it" and get over it.

The rule is, if you have a fever stay at home otherwise go in and infect everyone else they're going to get it anyway

Anyone who is a "mamby pamby" can go and have a flu jab, they work perfectly well.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          How do you know you have a contagious illness? Aren't you usually contagious before you have symptoms?

WFH now, but as a contractor I've turned up to client site in a much more deathly state than I ever would as a permie.

Hard to say as I am rarely properly ill but I'd guess the permies take a few days off to start with and if they are coughing/sneezing then that's enough of a risk to stay at home. Maybe there's still a thing as needing a doctor's note after a few days off so can be properly assessed.

True about contractors battling through the illness to keep invoicing, whereas some permies treat ill days as a bonus to their annual holiday allowance. Though I think most of my battles were due to hangovers after being on the razz with fellow contractors the night before.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

The NHS only recommend you stay at home when you have flu.

If you have a cold they recommend you use a handkerchief and "wash your hands".
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Hard to say as I am rarely properly ill but I'd guess the permies take a few days off to start with and if they are coughing/sneezing then that's enough of a risk to stay at home. Maybe there's still a thing as needing a doctor's note after a few days off so can be properly assessed.

True about contractors battling through the illness to keep invoicing, whereas some permies treat ill days as a bonus to their annual holiday allowance. Though I think most of my battles were due to hangovers after being on the razz with fellow contractors the night before.
              Some do - but there are a vast number of professional committed people who do not view ill days as extra holiday

and sadly the only way they can 'prove' themselves to middle management drones is to come in when they are visibly ill

don't hate the players hate the game

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                The NHS only recommend you stay at home when you have flu.

If you have a cold they recommend you use a handkerchief and "wash your hands".
                If you wash your hands properly - and lots of people don't wash their hands at all even after using the toilet - you decrease your chances of getting sick.

I use to give people illnesses when I was visibly symptomless. When I was coughing up tulip everyone around me was fine.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No point. Suity's got no money.

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
                    If you come into work when you're sick, sit next to me, and proceed to spend an hour coughing your lungs up and blasting out metric ****tons of tulip out of your nose, and I get ill and have to take a couple of days off, I should be able to sue you for loss of earnings
                    Bollux - You should be grateful if someone gives you a dose of lurgy.

It gives your immune system a workout, and may help prevent cancer.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Bollux - You should be grateful if someone gives you a dose of lurgy.

It gives your immune system a workout, and may help prevent cancer.
                      Alas poor OwlHoot succumbed to pneumonia and died. At least he didn't have cancer though.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X