• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you think? Borrow more debt or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Why do they want to buy at all? What's wrong with renting exactly?
    They want to say "my property portfolio investment gained 12% this month", at dinner parties, meaning they bought a house.

Comment

After owning a few places followed by being off the ladder for several years I have to say the appeal of home ownership is fading for me. Private landlords suck, but I'm hoping the government will eventually drive the slum lords out of the trade and leave it to heavily-regulated management companies to administer the rental stock.

If I'm saving stacks of cash, it's not going to be to someday dream of a neighbourhood I actually want to live in, thanks.
      Last edited by seanraaron; 18 February 2016, 11:17.

Comment

I have debt of almost £700,000

Comment

After owning a few places followed by being off the ladder for several years I have to say the appeal of home ownership is fading for me. Private landlords suck, but I'm hoping the government will eventually drive the slum lords out of the trade and leave it to heavily-regulated management companies to administer the rental stock.

If I'm saving stacks of cash, it's not going to be to try to someday dream of a neighbourhood I actually want to live in, thanks.
          You're an idiot if you think that will help anyone but Gideon's mates.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            You're an idiot if you think that will help anyone but Gideon's mates.
            Better than a crap shoot of skinflints trying to play junior real estate tycoon.

Comment

I have debt of almost £700,000
              My ex sister-in-law has about £2m in BTL debt, but the property "portfolio" has nearly doubled in value so she's not done too bad by borrowing the QE money overall.

Cheap money means easy riches.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                My ex sister-in-law has about £2m in BTL debt, but the property "portfolio" has nearly doubled in value so she's not done too bad by borrowing the QE money overall.

Cheap money means easy riches.
                So she's made £2m but according to Sean she's part of the "crap shoot of skinflints trying to play junior real estate tycoon. "

Comment

So she's made £2m but according to Sean she's part of the "crap shoot of skinflints trying to play junior real estate tycoon. "
                  No she's borrowed about £2m (actually includes her own mortgage on a very large house too), and since 2009, when she bought a lot of distressed properties and off-plan houses on new house estates where the developers were keen to offer big discounts, she's doubled her deposit money of about £400k.

Comment

If I'm saving stacks of cash, it's not going to be to someday dream of a neighbourhood I actually want to live in, thanks.
                    When hyperinflation hits, in two or three years tops, people with "stacks of cash" will find it vaporised in an inflation firestorm.

Don't say you weren't warned!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      When hyperinflation hits, in two or three years tops, people with "stacks of cash" will find it vaporised in an inflation firestorm.

Don't say you weren't warned!
                      True also if deflation hits, which is the more likely scenario in the near term.

Comment

Working...
                      X