• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office chair and sit/stand desk recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post

But this goes counter to HMRC's own advice where they say you need to work out the ratio of time needs to be calculated to split between personal and business use and the amount claimed to the percentage.
    What advice are you referring to? There is no such advice.

A company can provide an asset for its director/employee if it's needed to do their work. In such circumstances - where it was necessary for you to do your work - any personal use of an item will generally be considered insignificant so long as you can show that you needed the furniture for work. If you have a dedicated home office and work mostly from home that should be more than sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      OK, so do you have an "office" in your house - a room that you use for work, and not much else?
      If so, to me that's fine.

If the place where you work at home is also where you have an xBox, a 65" TV and you spend most of your life playing World of Warcraft, then no, it's not OK.

This is what I have: Herman Miller New Aeron Office Chair, Graphite/Polished Aluminium at John Lewis & Partners
      And since replacing a cheap chair with it, I'd not had as much back and shoulder pain, and my RSI has subsided
      Tbh even if you play computer games in your home office, how would HMRC even know? I don't know anyone that has their home office inspected.

Good choice of chair, I went for the one below but refurbished.

Herman Miller New Aeron Office Chair, Mineral at John Lewis & Partners

Comment

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
        I want to get a new office desk and chair, but how do you get around it being a business expenses when more than likely it will be in your home and just dual purpose?
        Just buy something that couldn't possibly be used for anything else but business....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
          Just buy something that couldn't possibly be used for anything else but business....

Is it a gaming rig or personal mri or something even better?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Is it a gaming rig or personal mri or something even better?
            Definitely more than just a gaming rig....

MWE LAB - Home

Comment

Definitely more than just a gaming rig....

MWE LAB - Home
              Nice, well I priced up the version I wanted. 6 monitors etc and it’s only around 12k usd.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Nice, well I priced up the version I wanted. 6 monitors etc and it’s only around 12k usd.

Looks rather uncomfortable for prolonged use.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Does it go faster than Warp 3?
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I had a HM Mirra for 5 years until the base mesh went t|tts up.

Upgraded to the HM Embody which ended up as the best chair I've ever owned.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

I really want a new chair to replace my aging Arron. I’ve considered the Mirra 2 and Embody. I really like the look of the Steelcase Gesture but it seems very difficult to get hold of over here.

Comment

Working...
                      X