• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office chair and sit/stand desk recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
    Now we're talking. Is the motor quiet?
    Sorry don't know, I went for the manual option. But its incredibly straight forward to adjust.

If you are going to stand make sure you get a decent cushion mat thing to stand on.

Only minor irritation is i like to have all my cables neatly tied but you cant with an adjustable desk, you need to have a bit of give. So just a little messy.

Comment

I want to get a new office desk and chair, but how do you get around it being a business expenses when more than likely it will be in your home and just dual purpose?
      Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
        I want to get a new office desk and chair, but how do you get around it being a business expenses when more than likely it will be in your home and just dual purpose?
        Have a home office dedicated to work.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Have a home office dedicated to work.
          The fact it's a "home" office kinda gives it away as being dual purpose!
          Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

The fact it's a "home" office kinda gives it away as being dual purpose!
            Speak with your accountant.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Ikea now to a motorised sit stand desk. Actually seemed quite nice for Ikea.

Comment

I have a 'glorious workbench':

It's very glorious.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
                  Ikea now to a motorised sit stand desk. Actually seemed quite nice for Ikea.
                  I've had an Ikea one for a few years now - good sized desk, works fine, no problems with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    Speak with your accountant.
                    I'm with NixonWilliams, and they just pointed me to this:

Claiming Home Office Expenses | Nixon Williams Accountancy

Office furniture
                    When purchasing office furniture such as a computer desk, filing cabinet or chair, you should consider whether there will be any personal use of the item as this could have an impact on whether it is considered an allowable expense. If your private use of the item is insignificant then you will need to be able to demonstrate this to the satisfaction of HMRC.

However, if the item cost is deemed reasonable then it is unlikely that inclusion as a business expense would be questioned. This amount usually falls under around £300.

If you are called upon to justify the usage of your furniture by HMRC, you will need to consider how much time you spend using the item for business purposes. For example, if you have a piece of office furniture which you use only intermittently for work purposes, it would be difficult to prove that your personal use is less significant than your work use.
                    But this goes counter to HMRC's own advice where they say you need to work out the ratio of time needs to be calculated to split between personal and business use and the amount claimed to the percentage.

Gut feeling is spend £250 HMRC won't bother, spend £x000 as suggested elsewhere and it starts to look dodgy!

Comment

I'm with NixonWilliams, and they just pointed me to this:

Claiming Home Office Expenses | Nixon Williams Accountancy

But this goes counter to HMRC's own advice where they say you need to work out the ratio of time needs to be calculated to split between personal and business use and the amount claimed to the percentage.

Gut feeling is spend £250 HMRC won't bother, spend £x000 as suggested elsewhere and it starts to look dodgy!

OK, so do you have an "office" in your house - a room that you use for work, and not much else?
                      If so, to me that's fine.

If the place where you work at home is also where you have an xBox, a 65" TV and you spend most of your life playing World of Warcraft, then no, it's not OK.

This is what I have: Herman Miller New Aeron Office Chair, Graphite/Polished Aluminium at John Lewis & Partners
                      And since replacing a cheap chair with it, I'd not had as much back and shoulder pain, and my RSI has subsided
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X