• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much??!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much??!!!

Got an interview in Newcastle next week, it's 9 hour's round trip by car or public transport. Train is £242 standard or £576 1st class. Even for my car the petrol would be less than £100, but CBA driving for that length of time.

Fancied 1st class, but fookin hell. I guess it keeps the cheapskates out though.

So what's cattle class like on London Midland and CrossCountry?

fly?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Where are you travelling from and what time do you need to be there?

Comment

I'd fly but I'd have to travel somewhere like Luton first, East Midlands is the nearest, but don't seem to go to Newcastle. If I was home, then I'd fly from Southampton. 1.5 hour flight around £250 like last time.

East Midlands, interview is 1pm

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
          I'd fly but I'd have to travel somewhere like Luton first, East Midlands is the nearest, but don't seem to go to Newcastle. If I was home, then I'd fly from Southampton. 1.5 hour flight around £250 like last time.

East Midlands, interview is 1pm
          Go the evening before at £33, stay the night in a hotel and return in the afternoon at £46.50. Singles each way.

Or you can split the ticket at Peterborough if you must travel that day.

06:21 - 09:51

Anytime Single: £29.90 East Midlands Parkway to Peterborough
          Advance Single: £31.00 Peterborough to Newcastle.

Comment

I did 6 months of 1st class travel between brum and London with Virgin, over 1500 notes a month worth it though as standard was rammed and 1st half empty, nice full English brekkie in the morning was a winner, tbh the London rate made up for it but I'm seeing contract rates of 300-350 in central London these days which is even with T&S making it a bit cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              I did 6 months of 1st class travel between brum and London with Virgin, over 1500 notes a month worth it though as standard was rammed and 1st half empty, nice full English brekkie in the morning was a winner, tbh the London rate made up for it but I'm seeing contract rates of 300-350 in central London these days which is even with T&S making it a bit cheaper!
              Some rates take the p1ss proper.

I was recently thrown a role for a Tester up in Bradford. I'm not a tester (but could do that particular contract with my eyes closed) and I live in the SE. The rate is £250/day .

I wrote back to the agent and told her that, after my travel costs, hotel and food bills, how did she think it would ever be worth my while to take the contract on? Seriously, after all costs and tax, what would I eventually save up on that - maybe £120/day? Hardly worth leaving the family for all week.

Perhaps she thought I would enjoy the opportunity to live in Bradford for a few months.

Never heard back from her

Comment

Now booked. 1hour drive to Peterborough, then 1st class East Coast from Peterborough. Train is £176. And it saves me an hour each end.

Thanks All

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
                  Now booked. 1hour drive to Peterborough, then 1st class East Coast from Peterborough. Train is £176. And it saves me an hour each end.

Thanks All

Good choice. Much nicer - but that train ticket should have cost you £140.50 as 2 singles.

PETERBOROUGH to NEWCASTLE
                  ADVANCE 1ST 1st Single £62.50

NEWCASTLE to PETERBOROUGH
                  ADVANCE 1ST 1st Single £78.00

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Some rates take the p1ss proper.

I was recently thrown a role for a Tester up in Bradford. I'm not a tester (but could do that particular contract with my eyes closed) and I live in the SE. The rate is £250/day .

I wrote back to the agent and told her that, after my travel costs, hotel and food bills, how did she think it would ever be worth my while to take the contract on? Seriously, after all costs and tax, what would I eventually save up on that - maybe £120/day? Hardly worth leaving the family for all week.

Perhaps she thought I would enjoy the opportunity to live in Bradford for a few months.

Never heard back from her
                    Factor in no holiday/sick pay shelling out for accountant , insurances etc and you'd be better off flipping burgers in maccy d's!

Comment

Working...
                    X