• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling to get the next contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling to get the next contract

Hi guys,

I very much appreciate if someone could advise. I have been contracting for about 5 years now all within banking. I am a data analyst/developer with a Computer Science background. I work with a range of languages such as SAS, VBA, Python.

I have never really had any trouble getting work. However, this time it seems I am struggling. I have been off since January this year and I haven’t had any interviews apart from a couple of telephone interviews, which didn’t go anywhere. I have had a few potential contracts come up (with interviews lined up) but then, a few days before the interview or a few days after CVs were submitted, they have had their budgets pulled or they were converted to permanent roles.

It’s the first time I have looked for contracts at the beginning of the year. Not sure if it’s the time of the year that is making a difference. Perhaps things are slow right now as budgets are still being worked out. I also spoke to a recruiter yesterday who said that it is an employers market right now which makes getting a role more difficult.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

How's the warchest?

Comment

That's the market at the moment I'm afraid. I wouldn't read anything in to the time of year. There is apparently a good reason why every month is a bad month to find gig's and it's nearly all rubbish.

Since end of Jan or beginning of Jan. If it's the end then it's only 3 and a bit weeks ago so shouldn't be a worry yet with your warchest and all.

Expect to contract for 10 months a year and anything above that is a Brucie bonus and a spell out like this won't be too much of a worry.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Warchest is fine. I can be out of work easily for another 8-12 weeks. But just a little worried that I am de-skilling whilst being off.

Comment

Only 8 - 12 weeks after 5 years. OK.. I'd be sweating a little bit as well.

De-skilling after 6 weeks off?? Really? That shouldn't be a problem. Use the time off to skill back up?
          Last edited by northernladuk; 24 February 2016, 19:54.

Comment

I've been off since mid December.

Comment

Well another 12 weeks takes me to May which is basically 5 months off from work. I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                Well another 12 weeks takes me to May which is basically 5 months off from work. I wouldn't know what to do with myself.
                Ah right miss read that.

Keep plugging away I am afraid. Contact your old clients, get your CV with every agent you can, keep on top of the job boards, make sure your linkedin profile is good and shows you are available.

In the meantime time brush up on something you might find useful.

We all get a couple of months on the bench. It's part and parcel of the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                  Warchest is fine. I can be out of work easily for another 8-12 weeks. But just a little worried that I am de-skilling whilst being off.
                  Eeek!! I got 3/4 years worth and I'm still trying to make it 5/10!!! As I approach 90 I might get there!

Really though, 3 months is nowhere near enough to relax on, I had 7 months out 5 years back, plenty on here had longer.

If I were you I'd be working on my Plan B but you don't have enough war chet for that....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Eeek!! I got 3/4 years worth and I'm still trying to make it 5/10!!! As I approach 90 I might get there!

Really though, 3 months is nowhere near enough to relax on, I had 7 months out 5 years back, plenty on here had longer.

If I were you I'd be working on my Plan B but you don't have enough war chet for that....

Sorry to be clear I have a warchest that could easily cover me for another year. So it's not the money that I am concerned about. It's really the fact that I am out of work, not extending my experience, will have a gap in my CV.... That sort of stuff really.

Comment

Working...
                    X