• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling to get the next contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    And breathe .

Having bench time is part and parcel, it is there to be enjoyed.
    I have had all sort of time out, 6 months, 3 months, 1 year over the last 16 years, some chosen, some not, I certainly made sure I enjoyed the majority of it.
    I like travelling, I don't know what you like to do with your free time.

If you can't face the bench time, maybe, going forward, continuing contracting may not be right for you, only you know that
    Currently, on the bench myself and am looking forward to it, continuing, for the next couple of months, in the sun.
    Sitting there watching the World Cup... if I don't get renewed in the next month then I might be joining you!

Comment

OP is worried about becoming rusty. Depending on your area you can practice in a home lab. Many of us have a collection of real or virtual kit at home. It doesn't have to be huge these days. Vmplayer gives you a Solaris / Linux / whatever environment in your PC. Even a raspberry pi can run many relevant technologies on a small scale.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
        Sitting there watching the World Cup... if I don't get renewed in the next month then I might be joining you!
        Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        And breathe .

Having bench time is part and parcel, it is there to be enjoyed.
        I have had all sort of time out, 6 months, 3 months, 1 year over the last 16 years, some chosen, some not, I certainly made sure I enjoyed the majority of it.
        I like travelling, I don't know what you like to do with your free time.

If you can't face the bench time, maybe, going forward, continuing contracting may not be right for you, only you know that
        Currently, on the bench myself and am looking forward to it, continuing, for the next couple of months, in the sun.

Why don't you both get a room?

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          OP is worried about becoming lonely. Depending on your area you can practice your in a home "lab". Many of us have a collection of material for stimulation at home. It doesn't have to be huge deal these days.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Why don't you both join me in getting a room?
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              How many DAs do we have?
              One per duck.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                Thanks for the suggestions. Yes agreed! I am doing the above actually and it does feel great. But I wouldn't want to do this any longer than another 4 weeks. It's probably a mindset thing I guess. As I've never been off for this long I'm getting a little disheartened.
                In contracting there are always dead times for each skill set and the biggest one for everyone is at the end of the financial year. Head off to the beach somewhere warm, bring your laptop apply for roles, do phone interviews, and come back when you have something. It's suprising how quickly you get a role where you are somewhere you don't want to leave.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  In contracting there are always dead times for each skill set and the biggest one for everyone is at the end of the financial year. Head off to the beach somewhere warm, bring your laptop apply for roles, do phone interviews, and come back when you have something. It's suprising how quickly you get a role where you are somewhere you don't want to leave.
                  I have never done this but its sounds very tempting as this contract runs out end of April. I could see myself on the beach or by the pool laughing at everyone else at home.

The Mrs wont be happy as she wont be invited

Comment

Originally posted by mincepie View Post

The mrs wont be happy as she wont be invited
                    d i v o r c e
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      d i v o r c e
                      That will hurt the warchest... Butlins here we come

Comment

Working...
                      X