• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There are a lot of whinging IT contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There we go again with the old "contractor's income = hourly rate x 40 hours x 50 weeks".

Comment

It is often a new breed of first time contractor who has those skills.Many contractors are left floundering on the beach with old skills when a recovery comes and are not able to get work, competing with many other contractors with the old skills over fewer and fewer jobs that use those old skills.
      So much BS in those quotes you don'y know where to start.

I'm sure the old mainframe programmers, who still earn a very good living, due to scarcity, wouldn't go along with him.
      Similarly, I have worked with a lot of older BAs, PMs, Programme Managers, etc. I bet we all have.

Even most of the trolley dollies that make up, most, HR departments are contractors, now.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        So much BS in those quotes you don'y know where to start.

I'm sure the old mainframe programmers, who still earn a very good living, due to scarcity, wouldn't go along with him.
        Similarly, I have worked with a lot of older BAs, PMs, Programme Managers, etc. I bet we all have.

Even most of the trolley dollies that make up, most, HR departments are contractors, now.
        It applies to old mainframe programmers too: they will not be getting contracts now unless their mainframe experience is current. I speak from experience: I have 15 years mainframe experience but it's not current mainframe stuff. My old mainframe skills are MVS COBOL BAL CICS JCL CLISTs etc, and you can't get a contract with that.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          If you're a dev in your forties or fifties I would imagine that you're rather good at it and you enjoy the work...

And no young whippersnappers coming up behind me either - not since large scale off-shoring.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You didnt uses to be able to link to that site from this, guess admin no longer views it as a threat. Back in the day the bloke who owns it ran computercontractor.net the forum of which made General look like a girl guide meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              It applies to old mainframe programmers too: they will not be getting contracts now unless their mainframe experience is current. I speak from experience: I have 15 years mainframe experience but it's not current mainframe stuff. My old mainframe skills are MVS COBOL BAL CICS JCL CLISTs etc, and you can't get a contract with that.
              You can, because I still do although I have 'upskilled' as well so that not only can I use the old, yet both relevant and required, skills I can integrate them with the new stuff
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                You didnt uses to be able to link to that site from this, guess admin no longer views it as a threat. Back in the day the bloke who owns it ran computercontractor.net the forum of which made General look like a girl guide meeting.
                I preferred namesfacesplaces. That colour scheme still haunts me. If past history is anything to go by "We received this, about whinging IT Contractors, in response to one of our articles." probably means "I emailed myself something this morning to try and make some news."

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Tell me about it....
                  There are a lot of whinging IT contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    You can, because I still do although I have 'upskilled' as well so that not only can I use the old, yet both relevant and required, skills I can integrate them with the new stuff
                    Well that's my point: if you have upskilled/added up-to-date experience then you can still get mainframe work, which may well use the Old Testament skills as well as the New; but if all you have is old mainframe skills then nobody wants them.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                      computercontractor.net the forum of which made General look like a girl guide meeting.
                      Oh happy days
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X