• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Migrants in Calais - why don't they

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Precisely a country renowned for its tolerance and not putting people in ovens.
    You really shouldn't denigrate the UK
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      So where does this purported 5000pp figure come from? Presumably someone must have asked a refugee how much they paid, if so, was their a follow-up question as to how they came up with this amount of money? Inquiring minds would be interested to the whole story behind this figure...
      The £5k figure has been widely reported and frequently quoted in discussions. A couple of examples with varying figures between £3k-£6k, and from unbiased sources.
      Migrants 'rush to cross Channel by boat before Brexit' - BBC News
      'This is the only way now’: desperate Iranians attempt Channel crossing | Immigration and asylum | The Guardian

At a guess, it looks like the Iranians who have money have been driving the price up. Maybe the price has dropped so the gangs can make a killing during the good weather. Targeting the gangs would be a good start though.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Where have I said that (in this thread at least)?
        You haven't. Which is why I said "seems to think so". I'm happy to change that if you wish.
        I get the impression you don't think highly of him though. A search for posts by you mentioning 'Farage' returns 307 results, I reckon one or two probably aren't too complimentary.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          You haven't. Which is why I said "seems to think so". I'm happy to change that if you wish.
          I get the impression you don't think highly of him though. A search for posts by you mentioning 'Farage' returns 307 results, I reckon one or two probably aren't too complimentary.
          Probably because he's a ****
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The £5k figure has been widely reported and frequently quoted in discussions. A couple of examples with varying figures between £3k-£6k, and from unbiased sources.
            Migrants 'rush to cross Channel by boat before Brexit' - BBC News
            'This is the only way now’: desperate Iranians attempt Channel crossing | Immigration and asylum | The Guardian

At a guess, it looks like the Iranians who have money have been driving the price up. Maybe the price has dropped so the gangs can make a killing during the good weather. Targeting the gangs would be a good start though.
            I see the Mail is reporting that it's gone down to about 500 now. One of the things that has been reported on is that quite a lot of the refugees, particularly in the case of Syrians, is that they are somewhat affluent compared to many other migrants because they've all had good jobs in sectors that the UK is promoting as an area where they would welcome immigrants. Not too difficult to question some of these migrants to find out what they used to do and fast track them into society

Comment

If anyone is interested in the money aspect, I'd suggest the channel 4 program called "Home" about a Syrian refuge in the UK. It's actually pretty funny, and covers these subjects.

Essentially, anyone with any money has already left Syria. The migrants you see in Calais are the upper classes of Syria, and their standard of living was pretty high before the war.

Comment

You can't answer a question without mentioning a racist, can you?
                You or Farage? Your posts isn't clear
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Another Tory idiot:

Immigration minister Chris Philp was speaking to reporters in Paris following the end of talks with his French counterpart.The two minster had met to negotiate a new deal to end the flow of migrants boats crossing the English Channel from France but failed to clench an agreement.

Adding to his woes, he managed to confuse Britain and Germany in his interview before getting flustered and suggesting he start again, forgetting it was live television.

When asked a question on the state of talks, Philp said “France and Germany” were working together in the spirit of cooperation.

He quickly corrected himself, saying “France and the United Kingdom”.

Not realising the broadcast was live, Philp then asked: “Do you want to do that last bit again because I got the Germany thing muddled?”

Comment

How to be a heroic migrant hunter, by Nigel Farage

Comment

Another Tory idiot:
                      There's so many to choose from, a gift that never stops giving.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X