• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agile - at what point do you just tell someone to take a hike?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a three hour sprint planning meeting, during which I didn't say a single word and I chanted shrimpys mantra in my head to stay sane.

Instead of estimating tasks, it was the product owner and associated parties trying to plan out what they actually wanted.

So I was just watching two people argue and discuss stuff.

We're so agile.
    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      Spot on. My current gig is the first truly Agile/Fragile place I have worked. My "Manager" and "Architect" use it as an excuse not to do any design work, requirements gathering, or measurement of progress. Just do "Some Stuff" please they tell me.

Unless something is visible to the end-user it doesn't get done - stability improvements, monitoring etc. Don't bother then wonder why we look like plonkers when they stuff fails
      Last client co had this same issue. Story points were around what the stakeholders want. Shiny buttons etc. No design into scalability, reliability, extendability, maintainability, etc.

But all good, means can start it all over again in a few months time. Kerrrrrrrrrrching!

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
        Had a three hour sprint planning meeting, during which I didn't say a single word and I chanted shrimpys mantra in my head to stay sane.

Instead of estimating tasks, it was the product owner and associated parties trying to plan out what they actually wanted.

We're so agile.
        Nearly half a day of invoicing while doing nothing.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We're so agile.
          I'd normally inform the folk in this type of business knowledge "peacockery" that I'm not going to contribute anything of value to this exercise and excuse myself thus giving me time to deliver some value elsewhere, normally id go for a tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Nearly half a day of invoicing while doing nothing.
            Unfortunately, half a day invoicing while sitting perfectly still in a potted seat, unable to do anything, trying to stay awake and look interested in front of 4 permie devs, the person that hired me, and the person representing the business needs who already dislikes devs... for almost three hours ...

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
            I'd normally inform the folk in this type of business knowledge "peacockery" that I'm not going to contribute anything of value to this exercise and excuse myself thus giving me time to deliver some value elsewhere, normally id go for a tulip.
            I tried, I was 'invited' with enthusiasm to join the meeting. Give it a few weeks, see if my extension comes through
            Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

I tried, I was 'invited' with enthusiasm to join the meeting. Give it a few weeks, see if my extension comes through
              Maybe you are 'eye candy' to stop them falling asleep?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X