• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Card from ClientCo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card from ClientCo

My ClientCo wants to issue me with one of their nominated company credit cards. Initial thoughts are not to take such an item.

For the past few months my "ClientCo Manager" has paid for flights/hotels/expenses (and collected the points ). His VP has now instructed that I should fly/visit/etc overseas sites as required without a "handler".

A nice lady (read VP's EA) currently books my flights/travel and this would not change solely to which card the invoice will be booked.

Anything that I should be aware of if taking ClientCo card eg in relation to IR35 or such potential issues in the eyes of HMRC.

Why not pay for it on YourCo's card and add it to your invoice?

Then;
    a) no IR35 issues
    b) You get the points

Comment

Do they offer this to every person offering a service to the client, kitchen staff, cleaners etc or just the PERMIES? (capitalized it just to help with clarity)

If it's not available to everyone on site and is a permie perk or requirement then drop it like a hot rock.

Does raise the question on how your client perceives you if they think you should be having this type of thing. No point you worrying about your IR35 status is your client thinks you are a permie and is going to treat you like one you are screwed.

And honestly... If you can't see the IR35 issue here you want to go read up. Asking basic questions every time something happens that you 'think' might have an IR35 issue is a really poor way to go about it.

EDIT : Have you checked what they book you? Some company booking agents end up giving the clients a worse deal and booking it yourself can get much better flights at a better cost.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 8 March 2016, 11:51.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Do they offer this to every person offering a service to the client, kitchen staff, cleaners etc or just the PERMIES? (capitalized it just to help with clarity)

If it's not available to everyone on site and is a permie perk or requirement then drop it like a hot rock.

Does raise the question on how your client perceives you if they think you should be having this type of thing. No point you worrying about your IR35 status is your client thinks you are a permie and is going to treat you like one you are screwed.

And honestly... If you can't see the IR35 issue here you want to go read up. Asking basic questions every time something happens that you 'think' might have an IR35 issue is a really poor way to go about it.

EDIT : Have you checked what they book you? Some company booking agents end up giving the clients a worse deal and booking it yourself can get much better flights at a better cost.
        I think that you need to be careful on this point; why would cleaners be offered a company credit card unless they are incurring travel expenses? OP needs to confirm if this is provided to all company workers who require travel irrespective of status. The biggest concern is if there is a separate arrangement for consultants v contractors.

I'd offer to take them on to my own credit card and invoice normally.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

There's a good chance they don't often require cleaners or kitchen staff to take flights or stay in hotels in order to provide their contracted services…

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            I think that you need to be careful on this point; why would cleaners be offered a company credit card unless they are incurring travel expenses? OP needs to confirm if this is provided to all company workers who require travel irrespective of status. The biggest concern is if there is a separate arrangement for consultants v contractors.

I'd offer to take them on to my own credit card and invoice normally.
            Dat's true. Back in the day a Corporate Amex was part of the package so yes, good point. But still, the point being available to all or permies was what I was after.

Comment

Dat's true. Back in the day a Corporate Amex was part of the package so yes, good point. But still, the point being available to all or permies was what I was after.
              Agreed - just didn't want OP snubbing it because the cleaners couldn't expense their oyster cards
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Indeed...

But anyway... Here you go...

IR35 and other issues for contractors claiming expenses from clients for flights

IR35 weather warning ahead

But Abbott warns contractors against falling into some classic IR35 traps: “A contractor should not accept a company credit card provided by their client; they should always pay for expenses directly using personal cash or cards, or preferably their contractor limited company resources.
                Some good stuff in that article about travelling actually...

Comment

Indeed...

IR35 and other issues for contractors claiming expenses from clients for flights

Some good stuff in that article about travelling actually...
                  So, to sum up, IR35 bad if you take the card. Get it through your or their corporate account, not a proxy credit card. Case closed.Next!!

Comment

Did actually read that from 2012 before posting.

Also googled this topic but also asked here as many have experienced right/wrong way to do these things.

Have no desire to take the card due to
                    • IR35 ramifications
                    • will take me over the FRS limit
                    • payment terms for expenses are 60 days (cf with payment within 7 days for services)

Asking here has reiterated my initial conclusion.

Thanks - happy to with input.

Comment

Working...
                    X