• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work to live, not live to work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    So last night I went to the footie with an old schoolmate. He's a self-made man. In his thirties he was running a business he'd built up from a market stall into one with a 10M turnover. He described this as a seven day a week stressfest. At 38 he suffered a stroke and for a good while thought he was done for, though he's recovered pretty well.

His missus has her own health issues and is in a wheelchair now. He's got millions in the bank, mind, so can afford the best healthcare.
    If you talk to every millionaire they say money is no substitute for having your health or having healthy children.They tend to be risk takers do even if they had less money would live happily if they are healthy.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      stuff
      For the past few years I've - partly deliberately, partly by circumstance, worked 20-30 hours a week on average. It's very civilised.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Build a property portfolio, squeeze the selfie stick generation / immigrants, sit back and relax.....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If you talk to every millionaire they say money is no substitute for having your health or having healthy children.They tend to be risk takers do even if they had less money would live happily if they are healthy.
          The grass is always greener, unless you live in a bedsit and have no garden.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            And no sofa.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              And no sofa.
              There's always someone more in the tulip than you!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                Your ambitions are too small. Work for a life, not for a house.

I speak as a Boomer who has bought several houses. I just happen not to own any of them any more, after a couple of divorces. I doubt that I will own one ever again, because I started again from zero and I can't afford it in this market. I could work up to buying a bedsit with no garden if I put my mind to it, but that would ruin what is left of my life. So instead I have taken a leaf out of Henry David Thoreau's book, and made my wants small enough to fit my income.

I don't have a house but right now I'm sitting with a beer just below the amazing fort in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. I'm having the time of my life and I would seriously recommend doing whatever will maximise your life experience, over throwing it away on hugely overpriced possessions.

My brother, who has a large and lovely house, remarked that for someone with so little stuff, I seem to own a lot of backpacks. Yes indeed: because they cost relatively little and bring me a relatively large amount of pleasure. Can you say that about your house?

My oldest school friend worked a lot, and very successfully, and had a lot of money and a nice house. He also had a severe stroke and now has the dubious pleasure of having one of the best wheelchairs that money can buy.

Life is very short. FFS don't waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

I speak as a Boomer who has bought several houses. I just happen not to own any of them any more, after a couple of divorces. I doubt that I will own one ever again, because I started again from zero and I can't afford it in this market. I could work up to buying a bedsit with no garden if I put my mind to it, but that would ruin what is left of my life. So instead I have taken a leaf out of Henry David Thoreau's book, and made my wants small enough to fit my income.

I don't have a house but right now I'm sitting with a beer just below the amazing fort in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. I'm having the time of my life and I would seriously recommend doing whatever will maximise your life experience, over throwing it away on hugely overpriced possessions.

My brother, who has a large and lovely house, remarked that for someone with so little stuff, I seem to own a lot of backpacks. Yes indeed: because they cost relatively little and bring me a relatively large amount of pleasure. Can you say that about your house?

My oldest school friend worked a lot, and very successfully, and had a lot of money and a nice house. He also had a severe stroke and now has the dubious pleasure of having one of the best wheelchairs that money can buy.

Life is very short. FFS don't waste it.
                  Huge money for modest properties is probably why I haven't climbed the ladder. I have a big aversion to spending silly money on mediocrity.

Enjoy the journey.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

I speak as a Boomer who has bought several houses. I just happen not to own any of them any more, after a couple of divorces. I doubt that I will own one ever again, because I started again from zero and I can't afford it in this market. .
                    I bet the ex-wives live in nice big comfortable homes with no money worries whatsoever....

Lesson to the young.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      I bet the ex-wives live in nice big comfortable homes with no money worries whatsoever....

Lesson to the young.

Yep. OJ Simpson had the right idea.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X