• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Dreaded Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you just don't want to, then say so.
    Was it Sonny from the Godfather film who was told "Never tell anyone what you are thinking ever again"?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I want £200k. Bosses wife 3 nights a week. A new DFS sofa. A handyman to bleed my radiators. And every gladiator film ever produced.
        DFS?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

MF's boss was quite difficult to say no to.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Though they do get their pound of flesh.
            not a big investment for you then?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I've had it go both ways. One place did the money calculation exactly, to give me the same net as I was getting as a contractor. But they only wanted me for another 2 months, that was understood all round, so it was just contracting in a way that the accounts and legal depts were OK with.

Another place didn't take the idea seriously: they expected me to be so grateful to be offered a job, that I would accept a normal permie salary in order to get it. There wasn't what you would really call a meeting of minds on that one. But at bottom I was glad there wasn't, because I just didn't want to be a permie at any price.

And that goes more than ever now that my warchest, modest though it is, can stretch out to retirement if it has to. I would like to do another contract or two, but I will never conceivably work permie again, it would take too much out of my life that I would never get back. And actually that was always true: I went contracting for the money originally, as many of us did, but I stayed for the feeling that my life was mine, or at least a little more so, than as a wage slave.

I am philosophically inclined to believe in the market, so I suppose I would have to admit that there must be a price for which I would go permie. But even I am scared to think of how high it might be now.
              Last edited by expat; 9 March 2016, 13:40.

Comment

Look, standard response is:
                'Are you f**king joking ? I would top myself now if I wasn't out of here in 3 months...

Comment

Realistically though if you ever do want to go permy in the long term the only way to get a good salary these days is contract to perm as the permy offers in that case are a lot higher than you would get in a open market going direct to permy. My preferred option is contract to perm as I know it will secure a better permy wage but it depends on what your long term goals are.
                  I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
                    During a progress/update call yesterday with the time sheet signer/lunatic he asked the question i hoped he wouldnt..

Him, Will you go perm?
                    Me, Not really my thing i enjoy contracting etc etc
                    Him, what would it take?
                    In 2000, when the market was dead, I had a similar conversation. I told the pimp, 50K. He said, fine, I'll put your forward. I was called for interview and again I was asked my salary expectations. I again said 50k. The HR lass went a bit pale, but the IT manager just nodded and smiled.

A week later, it turned out the IT manager handed his notice in the day after I was interviewed, suggested I be his replacement. On rather more than 50k... I took the position and I certainly don't regret it. Although I jumped off the management greasy pole five years later to go back to technical consulting.

(And now I earn more than I ever did, and have very little stress. I just took today off to go skiing - perfect condition: it snowed last night quite heavily and temperatures remained below zero).
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Around 8 years ago, was in discussion about a BI practitioner role, basically creating a consultancy arm.
                      120k basic, 30k bonus, shares etc.
                      Would have had to work/smooze, all hours, MF's lifestyles not for me, I cannot abide cheap Champagne, for one thing

Turn it down, no regrets
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X