• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth working?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Wow. Support for almost 20 years. Ambassador, you're really spoiling us with your skills.
    As much as I think he is annoying twunt he has a point.

20 years ago Support wasn't a career most had heard off, now everyone thinks that they can work in IT so start as phone monkeys which keep wages down, those with a bit of nounce will only stay in support for a few years before moving onto something more skilled
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      It's a fair question. It took me around ten years in this country to get to the salary I was making in the States when I emigrated; I've only surpassed it in the last few years. Probably the Bank of England are geniuses who've kept inflation under control and the already high prices here means nothing needed to change?
      Statistics for inflation are all fudged try and find housing amongst the inflation figures.

If I was walking dogs for 30k 15 years ago I should be getting close to 50 now no??

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

20 years ago Support wasn't a career most had heard off, now everyone thinks that they can work in IT so start as phone monkeys which keep wages down, those with a bit of nounce will only stay in support for a few years before moving onto something more skilled
        Hmm you mean lie on the cv??

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
          Hmm you mean lie on the cv??
          No, you upskill, you get involved in more complex situations, you train, you learn, you..... why am I even bothering with this one!
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

No, you upskill, you get involved in more complex situations, you train, you learn, you..... why am I even bothering with this one!
            Sounds time consuming

Comment

Is that what Savile had to prevent him from being arrested?

In all seriousness, I agree, twunty has a point. Cost of living rises used to be the norm but mid-2000s onwards, it seem that you had to move jobs to get a pay rise. Same things seems to happen in contracting, but at least when the agent is on a percentage rather than a budget, they're on your side to get you more rather than hammer you.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've always wondered about this. There are only a certain number of people of are capable of this due to time, intelligence, personal situation and the like. If you can't then, in the UK at least, it looks as if you're in big trouble. How can you compete with (pretty much) unlimited numbers of similar workers who can undercut your wages and living conditions? When does this section of society take to the streets?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  In all seriousness, I agree, twunty has a point. Cost of living rises used to be the norm but mid-2000s onwards, it seem that you had to move jobs to get a pay rise. Same things seems to happen in contracting, but at least when the agent is on a percentage rather than a budget, they're on your side to get you more rather than hammer you.
                  The wife has had a couple of promotions at work. Our household income has obviously risen, but this has been cancelled out (pretty much to the last pound), but increasing living costs. I'm not talking about fancy holidays and cars, just child care, increased pension contributions and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    I've always wondered about this. There are only a certain number of people of are capable of this due to time, intelligence, personal situation and the like. If you can't then, in the UK at least, it looks as if you're in big trouble. How can you compete with (pretty much) unlimited numbers of similar workers who can undercut your wages and living conditions? When does this section of society take to the streets?
                    So that`s 90% of the population then , trouble is these increased skilled jobs were paying the same probably also ?? it just seems you got a payrise because you moved jobs fake pay rise in other words.

Comment

he doesn't know much about support as most of his support team are afraid to go near him in case he kicks off last thing they want is to be bent over a desk by MF.

UK wage growth | Economics Help

After 20 years however you would expect someone to have risen up the ranks a little, the wages that go with being the IT manager while not great are better than the £14k you can now earn stacking shelves.

I still do it as a side project because no one else knows how to fix some things but I keep trying to escape.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X