• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ZIRP becomes NIRP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I see things progressing like this:

ZIRP-->NIRP-->F(ecked)IRP

I reckon we're about 6mo-1yr away from FIRP.
    Draghi mentioned "unconventional measures" beyond NIRP. I take that to mean depositor haircuts, money drops from helicopters and maybe public executions for anybody that isn't at least $1 million in debt.

We must solve the last global debt bubble with a much bigger one. It all makes sense.

Comment

Draghi will soon be launching Euro version of R.I.P. Department

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        A lot of this money flood will end up in EU property.
        You'd think. Certainly, it has done so far. However, I don't think they've really grasped the confidence trick they're engaged in. It's a classic emperor/no clothes scenario and, at a certain point (basically now), it dawns on all the proles. Had they accepted the pain back in 2009/10, there's a good chance we'd have killed some of the old zombies, mitigated some of the new zombies (China), and emerged into a new business cycle. As it stands, there's going to be a massive crash in all asset prices (bar gold) at some point in the not too distant future. Perhaps you can make some money along the way, but there's no scenario in which this doesn't end up totally fecked. It's going to make this referendum look like a total waste of time, because the EU won't emerge from another crash.

Comment

Perhaps you can make some money along the way, but there's no scenario in which this doesn't end up totally fecked. It's going to make this referendum look like a total waste of time, because the EU won't emerge from another crash.
          This is where it all becomes a bit hazy for me. Is this mass default on debt/huge job layoff kind of fecked, or buy shot guns/stock food version?

Comment

You'd think. Certainly, it has done so far. However, I don't think they've really grasped the confidence trick they're engaged in. It's a classic emperor/no clothes scenario and, at a certain point (basically now), it dawns on all the proles. Had they accepted the pain back in 2009/10, there's a good chance we'd have killed some of the old zombies, mitigated some of the new zombies (China), and emerged into a new business cycle. As it stands, there's going to be a massive crash in all asset prices (bar gold) at some point in the not too distant future. Perhaps you can make some money along the way, but there's no scenario in which this doesn't end up totally fecked. It's going to make this referendum look like a total waste of time, because the EU won't emerge from another crash.
            Absolutely, although not being in the Euro may mean the UK is slightly less exposed. (But obviously we are largely dependent on financial services).
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              This is where it all becomes a bit hazy for me. Is this mass default on debt/huge job layoff kind of fecked, or buy shot guns/stock food version?
              It's the banking free money, pump up stocks, pump up EU assets, buy toxic bank bonds in exchange for printed money, type of nonsense.

Most of this money leaks into property and stock markets.

Comment

It's the banking free money, pump up stocks, pump up EU assets, buy toxic bank bonds in exchange for printed money, type of nonsense.

And the rest ends up in tax havens.

Comment

I get that bit. What I don't understand is why not print the money to write off debt? Take RBS. Why did UK PLC buy shares instead of just nationalising the bank (it was bankrupt) and 'print' the debt to cover retail deposits? I am guessing it would highlight 'sound money' isn't sound?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    I get that bit. What I don't understand is why not print the money to write off debt? Take RBS. Why did UK PLC buy shares instead of just nationalising the bank (it was bankrupt) and 'print' the debt to cover retail deposits? I am guessing it would highlight 'sound money' isn't sound?
                    Because it only works if you can keep up the confidence trick about QE being moderate and focused. Wheel in the smooth talking theatrics of Old Steady Hand Draghi. Look at the confidence he exudes! He's on top of it! Drama over. Mass unemployment reversed. It's all monetary, no structural or fiscal problems here. Right?

If you start printing money to pay down debts, all assets priced in that currency are immediately exposed as being worthless because the market cannot see the end game, and the currency will be completely debased. We're now on the verge of this confidence trick being exposed as precisely that.

Comment

Because it only works if you can keep up the confidence trick about QE being moderate and focused. Wheel in the smooth talking theatrics of Old Steady Hand Draghi. Look at the confidence he exudes! He's on top of it! Drama over. Mass unemployment reversed. It's all monetary, no structural or fiscal problems here. Right?

If you start printing money to pay down debts, all assets priced in that currency are immediately exposed as being worthless because the market cannot see the end game, and the currency will be completely debased. We're now on the verge of this confidence trick being exposed as precisely that.

Comment

Working...
                      X