• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed which lawn mower

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are fairly simple machines, a local garden machinery shop should be able to sell you a decent used one and maintain it in future for you. However, with new you will obviously have a year (at least) warranty. Probably no right answer to that one.

Add in Westwood to your list of manufacturers.

If you want to collect the grass, make sure the collector bin is a big as you can find. The real PITA of larger amounts of grass is the constant to'ing and fro'ing from your compost heap.

48" is good, 50" is slightly better but there are very few on the market.

One thing to be aware of; ride on mowers, like swimming pools, horses, flash motors etc, show that you are loaded and therefore fair game to get ripped off on price every time you go near the shop.

Comment

what about a Kubota with a pto driven mower

Milan.

Comment

ROBOT WARS!!!!

The best robotic lawnmowers - Telegraph
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hayter

[ /end thread ]
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No brainer if you've got a sloping lawn...

...Flymo on a rope

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post

...Flymo on a rope

I used to have to do that at parents house in my yoof

Childhood ruined by forced labour
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post

...Flymo on a rope

I have to do that on one of my slopes. PITFA.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  good we've got enough people here with tractor mowers

ok experts

Shall I buy new or second hand ?

Pro's and Con's... new, I will be the only owner, I will hopefully have the thing for ever, and know its history

second hand, saves a fortune, but could be a financial disaster when things stop working

What make shall I buy ?

Shall I go for a no-name from the local DIY place, or shall I get branded ? Branded, which one, John Deere, Honda, Kubota, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Yard Man etc ?

Size of deck ?

I will need to cut an acre and a 1/4, thinking that anything less than 48" won't be worth bothering

Price Limit ?

These things aint cheap, and basic Honda's and John Deeres cost around 4k gbp :-(

Milan.
                  Acre and 1/4 ideally 50 inch possibly a little smaller, 3 blades, pref Japanese motor, you dont want to be collecting and emptying grass so it should mulch or side discharge. Zero turn mowers are much faster than the old type. I have Toro Timecutter with a 20hp kawasaki engine no jacking up to access blades (deck is removable in a minute) and is easy to clean in situ. Toro is distributed by and parts serviced through Hayter in the UK. Hayter Zero turns are almost identical and made by Toro. Mine retails at 4k but I bought trade for 3. Buy anything sub 2k and you'll buy again soon bits will drop/snap off may not be replaceable and the engine will be underpowered crap probably by Briggs and Stratton. Decent mowers will have a 3 yr warranty.

A good yardstick is what commercial use, some football clubs use Toro (man u being one) local councils tend to use John Deere or Hayter.
                  Last edited by ZARDOZ; 19 March 2016, 01:52.

Comment

Working...
                  X