• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market Prospects Good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a PM and my experience wouldn't indicate that the London market is getting smaller for contractors.

Quite a few big corps IMO seem to be back-peddaling the frantic offshoring they did a few years ago.

Clients almost welcome reliable professional contractors since they know the job will get done, they look good when it gets done and we're there just to do the job not build empires.

Also, sense that clients are just tired of the cheap Bobs - an example is that an offshore developer took 4 weeks to do a job that my UK developer did in 2 days. Suffice to say UK developer contractor on the team now entrenched and Bob got moved out.

Comment

True

I'm seeing a lot of stuff come back onshore, also a fair amount of stuff coming out of the Cloud to local hosted solutions
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        True

I'm seeing a lot of stuff come back onshore, also a fair amount of stuff coming out of the Cloud to local hosted solutions
        I'm seeing a trend: back from India and into Ireland.

Comment

Also been just over 10 years for me and it's been trials and tribulations with HMRC's ever-changing and ever-challenging taxation landscape, but I think overall things have worked out OK.

Comparing myself with a couple of my permie highflyer friends though, I have seen their incomes double or treble even, whilst in contracting terms I wouldn't say rates have changed much over the past 10 years. They're both senior management and have done very well in their permie careers, but boy have they had to slog and sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            So is there a point to this thread?
            Its feeding time in the general shark tank.

Come here newbie. I've laid out a nice sweetie trial for you.....

Comment

32 years contracting. 29 years in the city. 28 years since my first contract started(I was permie for 6 years recently).

I can remember when you had to be good at your job. Or nice. Not both.....

Comment

Working...
              X