• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brains / IQ and wealth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my experience the wealthy people I know (self-made) aren't especially intelligent but most of them are/were chancers who saw opportunities and (in some cases) weren't afraid to bend the truth or outright lie to get deals done, often at the expense of others.

For me I think a lot of intelligent folk are also quite empathetic and less mercenary so I think would be less inclined to make dodgy deals (whether out of morality or fear of getting caught) and this can lead to never becoming seriously wealthy, even though intelligent people would generally earn a higher wage.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
      In my experience the wealthy people I know (self-made) aren't especially intelligent but most of them are/were chancers who saw opportunities and (in some cases) weren't afraid to bend the truth or outright lie to get deals done, often at the expense of others.

For me I think a lot of intelligent folk are also quite empathetic and less mercenary so I think would be less inclined to make dodgy deals (whether out of morality or fear of getting caught) and this can lead to never becoming seriously wealthy, even though intelligent people would generally earn a higher wage.
      the worst are so called "intelligent folk" who are envious of those that are richer than they are and turn into leftie liberals. they believe they are superior and dislike the proles and the self made. many of these can be found in Universities, lawyers and public sector institutions.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Not as bad as recruitment agents.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think there is a correlation with monetary success and emotional IQ though.

Autistic types who are intelligent but hate the social scene are very rarely happy, even if making huge numbers as an actuary or something.

See G Brown vs D Cameron. One highly intelligent but an appalling communicator, the other is David Flashman Cameron.

Comment

IQ is a dodgy concept - anyone who thinks it's real, has a low one
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Autistic types who are intelligent but hate the social scene
              Not necessarily autistic but the intelligent are less sociable according to this:

The stereotype of the mad, lonely genius might actually have some basis in reality.
              Intelligent people tend to crave ‘alone time’ – and are happier when alone even than with their close friends.
              This is the – disturbing – sign that someone is really intelligent | Metro News

"Social intelligence", the ability to interact with/manipulate/influence others, is probably more important than IQ in success.

PS I sit alone all day staring at the wall, so am definitely a genius.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 23 March 2016, 14:31.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
                For me I think a lot of intelligent folk are also quite empathetic and less mercenary ...
                A lot of intelligent people are also ditherers, and too timid and indecisive to seize an opportunity when it arises.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Happiness is not a path, its a choice.

It's a state. Like time it doesn't really exist continuously.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Valuev, also a millionaire

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Not as bad as recruitment agents.
                      fair point
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X