I have lost my mojo I have lost my mojo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Super poster

    Wilmslow is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    Default I have lost my mojo

    Having a really difficult contract – I may be leaving in 3 weeks or may be extended, client not telling me straight, and the agent is not getting back to me. They are giving my role to a wet behind the years project manager who psises on shoes, and two graduates without a scoobydoo. I am also an expert administrator for their test management suite, they have absolutely no skills of the product in-house. They kind of don’t want me, but need me and cannot decide which way to go with me. Pretty soul destroying. The project is in a terrible position but they are in denial, back –patting around the permies and blissful acquiescence.

    If I leave, I am seriously questioning if I want to carry on in this game. I am too comfortable – mortgage is low, I can live on Living Wage very comfortably – I have around 4 years living expenses which is not giving me a great deal of motivation to get back to it.

    I have not had a holiday other than Christmas break for around a year. Maybe I am just having burnout, maybe a couple of months in the French apartment will be enough to sort me out, and to look for contracts while by the poolside.

    Maybe I am just worried about having a relaxing break for not being bothered to get back into it as I don’t have the burning need to.

    Anyone else felt like this after a year of crepe? I used to enjoy my work.

  2. #2

    Banned

    FatLazyContractor is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    In NLyUK's knickers
    Posts
    7,799

    Default

    I think you should get laid ASAP.

    Once the frustrations are gone, sit and think carefully till you realise that YANCOTBAC.

    First, priorities though.

  3. #3

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Having a really difficult contract – I may be leaving in 3 weeks or may be extended, client not telling me straight, and the agent is not getting back to me. They are giving my role to a wet behind the years project manager who psises on shoes, and two graduates without a scoobydoo. I am also an expert administrator for their test management suite, they have absolutely no skills of the product in-house. They kind of don’t want me, but need me and cannot decide which way to go with me. Pretty soul destroying. The project is in a terrible position but they are in denial, back –patting around the permies and blissful acquiescence.

    If I leave, I am seriously questioning if I want to carry on in this game. I am too comfortable – mortgage is low, I can live on Living Wage very comfortably – I have around 4 years living expenses which is not giving me a great deal of motivation to get back to it.

    I have not had a holiday other than Christmas break for around a year. Maybe I am just having burnout, maybe a couple of months in the French apartment will be enough to sort me out, and to look for contracts while by the poolside.

    Maybe I am just worried about having a relaxing break for not being bothered to get back into it as I don’t have the burning need to.

    Anyone else felt like this after a year of crepe? I used to enjoy my work.
    Screw the extension, take a holiday. Go somewhere warm and sunny and relax for a couple of weeks. Then come back and find a new gig.

    PS. Have you looked down the back of the sofa?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  4. #4

    Lord of the Vectras

    VectraMan - scorchio!

    VectraMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    European Union (Yorkshire)
    Posts
    11,442

    Default

    Your mojo is always in the last place you look.

    HTH
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

  5. #5

    Super poster

    Wilmslow is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Screw the extension, take a holiday. Go somewhere warm and sunny and relax for a couple of weeks. Then come back and find a new gig.

    PS. Have you looked down the back of the sofa?
    There are no squirrels in my sofa, so cant be ATW's.

    Sunshine holiday easy - there is a family apartment in Perpignan which is my bolt-hole. May well just do that - in fact I am going there for Easter break.

    Not an extension, but cutting the agreed 6 months in half and not having it formalised. That is my bitch.

  6. #6

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,668

    Default

    I hear there is a nice permie role involving first class travel and all the stewardesses you can handle....

  7. #7

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilmslow View Post
    There are no squirrels in my sofa, so cant be ATW's.

    Sunshine holiday easy - there is a family apartment in Perpignan which is my bolt-hole. May well just do that - in fact I am going there for Easter break.

    Not an extension, but cutting the agreed 6 months in half and not having it formalised. That is my bitch.

    In which case when they tell you they don't want you anymore smile sweetly and inform them of the opportunity you now have to sit in the sun and relax
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  8. #8

    TykeLike

    SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,226

    Default

    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  9. #9

    Super poster

    bobspud is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,373

    Default

    Listen, just remember that there are a lot of arseholes in this world and so inevitably sometimes they get together and work in the same office. When that happens it can be a demoralising place for anyone with a normal outlook on life who stumbles in. Years ago I pulled 6 months in the worse tulip-hole in the world shortly after coming out of some of the best contracts I had had. The pure imbecility of some of the people there made me start to question m own sanity. Years since I have met several other guys that all worked there at different times and every one came to the conclusion that the place was poisoned by a small clique of Permanent staff that had NOT a CLUE what they were doing and were intent on undermining anyone that did.

    No one ever expects an easy ride as a contractor but some places are just broken.

  10. #10

    Super poster

    Wilmslow is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    The guy taking over the test management has just asked me if there is a limit to the amount of test steps he can create, or if it has to be 10 at every test.

    I am going to have some fun – should I give him God admin to allow him to stuff things up, or create a bespoked role which gives him some interestingly tailored access?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •