• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New job ooop North

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New job ooop North

Start a new contract Tuesday in the wilds of Manchester

Normally wouldn't even consider but the rate was beyond the dreams of avarice

Some 30 + years since I lived up that-a-ways

So questions for the natives:
    • Should I buy a cloth cap to fit in
    • Do they still do pigeon racing - if so should I swot up so as to know the buzz words
    • If I wear an overcoat- or any kind of jacket in winter- would I be immediately identified as an "outsider"
    • Are Yates Wine Lodges still the place to hang out ?
    • Which car should I travel in so as not to stand out -my 20 year old 4x4 or Merc E series coupe ?

TIA
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

You are mixing Manchester up with Yorkshire you southern inbred shirt lifter.

P. S. Yates is the place to hang out of your are 16 or want a fight or both. I think that's universal and not just northern haunts.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You are mixing Manchester up with Yorkshire you southern inbred shirt lifter.

P. S. Yates is the place to hang out of your are 16 or want a fight or both. I think that's universal and not just northern haunts.
      I was in the Yates in Aldershot a while back, nobody in apart from 4 staff, me, and this tramp. And it really did have truly sticky carpets...

Mancs love Scousers though, wear a Liverpool shirt and you'll be fine....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        I was in the Yates in Aldershot a while back, nobody in apart from 4 staff, me, and this tramp. And it really did have truly sticky carpets...

Mancs love Scousers though, wear a Liverpool shirt and you'll be fine....
        Or be loved by both sides and tell everyone you are from Warrington.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

YATES ?! AYCOTBAFC ?

Comment

Isn't Manchester the gay capital of the North now? Sort of inland Brighton with continuous light drizzle.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Isn't Manchester the gay capital of the North now? Sort of inland Brighton with continuous light drizzle.
              Always was, back in 1996 was it, Euro Champs in UK, It's Coming Home etc, pubs open till 4 am, was working for Railtrack quite near Canal Street, aka Anal Treet, me and my mate desperately trying to chat up the lesbian barmaid in Prague 5, I got the upper hand when he fell off his stool due to being pissed, but neither of us scored in the end

He lost his contact lens and that was the end of that, back to his flat for FIFA on the PS2 where I only lost 3-2 despite not having a clue what I was doing. That was Noel Gallagher's flat, tho he'd long left it. My mate was such a huge Oasis fan he deliberately rented Noel's old flat....

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                • Which car should I travel in so as not to stand out -my 20 year old 4x4 or Merc E series coupe ?
                For the first week, bring either one....

....then, the following week, bring the other one....

....then rinse and repeat.

Comment

Old stereotypes. You'll gain natural respect from the natives by dressing in top hat, tails, monocle and cane. If you need assistance, offering someone a pound to guide you to where you need to be is the best bet. Like NLUK, these oiks might be gobby but have a natural deference to the officer class - stand your ground and they will respect you.

Comment

Sorry but Manchester is not the fecking North.

Anything south of the 'Boro is The South.

Comment

Working...
                    X