• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrorism? Youth of today don't know the meaning of the word.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It depends on your definition of terrorism. A redneck shooting up a school is a terrorist, as much as someone blowing themselves up at a school.
    I don't recall a huge number of redneck school shootings in Western Europe. And the world graph does include armed assault and hostage taking, so I'm not totally sure what your point is.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Your link is useless. This image shows better what you're trying to say:

However, the fact remains that at the moment, the UK (and Western Europe as a whole) is safer than it was in the 70s.
      Well you managed to make some use out of it. Well done.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I don't recall a huge number of redneck school shootings in Western Europe. And the world graph does include armed assault and hostage taking, so I'm not totally sure what your point is.
        My point was that global terrorism measurements depend on the definition of terrorism by the group doing the reporting.
        e.g. When Palestinians attack Israelis is that terrorism, and is it terrorism when Israelis attack Palestinians?
        The definitions can get blurred at times.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

My point was that global terrorism measurements depend on the definition of terrorism by the group doing the reporting.
          e.g. When Palestinians attack Israelis is that terrorism, and is it terrorism when Israelis attack Palestinians?
          Quite right.

Comment

If it was your point it was very poorly made. "A redneck shooting up a school is a terrorist, as much as someone blowing themselves up at a school." doesn't immediately bring to mind the Israeli/Palestinian situation.

However, the figures exclude any claimed state terrorism. If you exclude state terrorism, then the answer to your questions are 1) yes 2) no, because the attacks various factions of the Palestinians make on Israel are not sanctioned (officially!) by the Palestinian state.
            Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Well you managed to make some use out of it. Well done.
            Wrong again. Your link was totally useless. The graph is from an entirely different source.

Comment

Wrong again. Your link was totally useless. The graph is from an entirely different source.

The whole website is fascinating actually if you bother to take a look. Lots of analysis and data including this, very accessible work, from the front page:

https://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/featur...ta-Rivers.aspx

And what it shows....

More terrorism today than the 1970's.

Oh but you were just talking about Western Europe

Well that's very narrow minded.

Comment

I don't recall a huge number of redneck school shootings in Western Europe.
                How about Anders Breivik ?
                Last edited by Troll; 28 March 2016, 14:22.
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  But surely there are no terrorists, merely high spirited, disenfranchised, young men with a mischievous streak

Love.

Jezza Korbin.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Anyone plotted terrorists vs CO2?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      How about Anders Breivik ?
                      His neck was blue. He hated reds.

Comment

Working...
                      X