• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memories of the 70s for "Gen Y"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UK gloating in post war nostalgia

Comment

The Saint
      Brady Bunch
      Heidi
      Columbo

Enid Blyton
      Nancy Drew
      The Beano

Comment

HR Puff'n'stuff!!

The Double Deckers!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          The average house in 1971 was £5,632.

Now it is about £300K, so a pint should cost about £5.75 now, or house prices are overpriced.

Based on the pint being about £3.10, the average house should cost about £160K.

So either beer has become amazingly cheap, or houses have become idiotically expensive.
          Interestingly enough it was 6 quid a pint last night at Wembley and ten quid a burger

So based on that I would say southern house prices are about right.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Interestingly enough it was 6 quid a pint last night at Wembley and ten quid a burger

So based on that I would say southern house prices are about right.
            If you are talking about Wembley beer prices then you should be comparing it with London house prices. Nearly £500K for Wembley.

Comment

I was watching The Good Life from 1975 and in one ep. Jerry Leadbetter's salary was mentioned, £18,000. Now I looked on some website that worked out the equivalent current salary, was about £134,000 in today's money, which seemed a bit much to me. Especially as when I first started working in 1979, my salary was £6292 so broadly equivalent to £45,000 - can't be right for an 18 year old.

Unless inflation was so rampant in the late seventies it was really worth like 20k, even that seems too much.

Comment

£51 chicken!

How much would items cost if they had risen in line with house prices? | This is Money
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I remember:

I did not like to eat until 5 years old.
                  Punching the boys at school.
                  Superman movie.
                  Close Encounters movie.
                  ABBA

Comment

Obviously I wasn't an Abba fan, but I persuaded my sister to buy had all their records.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Obviously I wasn't an Abba fan, but I persuaded my sister to buy had all their records.

Comment

Working...
                      X