• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job title question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job title question

I'm currently not a contractor, although it's my long term goal to be a senior front end contractor.

I'm currently a senior front end developer for a digital agency, and I've been presented with the opportunity of being Head of Development. I can't decide whether this job title would be an advantage or disadvantage on my CV for someone wanting to hire a front end contractor.

Would it just look like I'm a glorified middle manager of developers? Would it stand me in worst stead vs someone who is a developer? Thoughts welcomed.

Job titles are irrelevant, it's what you do that matters.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      This. If you've got the skills and experience to deliver what the client wants you'll get the gig. If you haven't you won't. Not much more to it really.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Comment

And FWIW.. I don't like seeing the word Senior in a title. In my experience, particularly contracting, someone banding a 'senior's title around is trying to make themselves look better than they are so will attract extra scrutiny from me. If you know what you are doing and good at it your CV will tell me and it will be obvious in an interview.
          You use the title as a front it will be obvious and you'll be done before you've finished the first sentence in the interview.

That said it might mean more to techie roles than it will Service ones so that's your call.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And FWIW.. I don't like seeing the word Senior in a title. In my experience, particularly contracting, someone banding a 'senior's title around is trying to make themselves look better than they are so will attract extra scrutiny from me. If you know what you are doing and good at it your CV will tell me and it will be obvious in an interview.
            You use the title as a front it will be obvious and you'll be done before you've finished the first sentence in the interview.

That said it might mean more to techie roles than it will Service ones so that's your call.
            Senior means a lot in engineering.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Ah interesting. I didn't know that. So the role. Is different rather than making out to be someone a little more experienced etc?

Comment

As opposed to estate agents, for example, where the entry level position for the work experience kid is "senior letting agent". A lot of industries use meaningless titles in the hope they won't notice the pitiful pay.

Comment

Consultancy too, they tend to use Associate, Senior, or Principle. Obviously they like these titles as they can charge you out at a hell of a lot more
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Ditto - I roll my eyes when I see "senior".

Comment

Working...
                    X