• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hum.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hum.

The Bristol one.

It's back.

The Bristol Hum makes an unwelcome return to city | Bristol Post

Aren't there a lot of underground caves and tunnels under the centre of Bristol?

Maybe it's some kind of air resonance, and the tunnels are acting like organ pipes.

edit: 2014-02-08 Secret Underground Bristol - Park Street, by Paul Townsend
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 12 April 2016, 13:32.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Sounds like motorboating....

Comment

People started noticing the sound in the late 1970s
        Not correct. It was around when I was a student there in 1965. Really loud. If you walked there in the day or the evening one assumed it must just be sound of traffic but it did not diminish one iota during the night.

Don't recognise the other descriptions either. Everyone I walked with noticed it and was noticeable outdoors including North of the city centre, near Ashley down.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 12 April 2016, 16:48.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As for sounds being only heard indoors, can't be a*sed to search for it, but apparently it can happen that high pitched sounds reduce and become audible when they hit glass. It used to be the case that in some parts of our house it sounded like it was raining heavily outside when it wasn't. Pretty sure it was noise from the brickworks furnaces nearby although all you could hear outside was a faint high hiss.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

We are way outside Bristol and can still hear it. I had never heard of it as a phenomenon and just assumed it was the power lines. Thanks for pointing it out

Comment

Sure it's not a combination of PC whining about his right to claim JSA, despite being a contractor, mingling with MM whining about generation Y's housing options, despite being 38? Bristol must be about halfway between the two. Must be well annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                Sure it's not a combination of PC whining about his right to claim JSA, despite being a contractor, mingling with MM/PG whining about generation Y's housing options, despite being 38? Bristol must be about halfway between the two. Must be well annoying.
                FTFY
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  Sounds like motorboating....

I was expecting the hum of rotting corpses. What a disappointing "story".
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I was expecting the hum of rotting corpses. What a disappointing "story".
                    I was expecting Ham. I thought DC had paid the city a visit.

Comment

Working...
                    X