• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Channel 4 Documentary - Wed 13th April - What British Muslims Really think.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You have deliberately inverted the questions to make them sensationalist.
    Surely the sensationalist version of:

34% would inform the police if they thought somebody they knew was getting involved with people who support terrorism in Syria
    reads:

66% would NOT inform the police if they thought somebody they knew was getting involved with people who support terrorism in Syria
    which if true is pretty shocking.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      "Half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal, poll finds"

Half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal, poll finds | UK news | The Guardian
      how very dare you its the religion of peace.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        how very dare you its the religion of peace.
        Have I gone too far by posting a link to an impartial survey?
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Somebody ban this tedious twunt please ....
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Surely the sensationalist version of

reads:

which if true is pretty shocking.
            The survey misses out the question -
            "Which one of these other measures would you take?"

When you write surveys how you phrase the questions gets you the answers you want. If you are a member of IPSE you would be acutely aware of that trick.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

When you write surveys how you phrase the questions gets you the answers you want. If you are a member of IPSE you would be acutely aware of that trick.
              How about you watch the programme an make up your own mind on how well the survey was conducted?

Comment

that be the problem with surveys..

However if you don't like the results then you are unlikely to agree with the process.

I suppose adding a control group of non muslims might have helped however the questions would have to be made relevant to them.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I read the survey a few days ago in the Times, and I can't say I'm terribly impressed.

For example "sympathise" is rather a weak word. For example, it could mean "I can understand why they'd do it, but there's no way I'd do it myself, and if someone was planning to do it, I'd report them to the police". Or it could mean "Die infidel!"

"condone" or "support" would be better, to select a group at random.

E.g. Do you sympathise with those who think that senior HMRC officials should all be put up against a wall and shot in front of their families?

I'm fairly sure that a set of questions could be conjured up that would reveal fairly shocking attitudes among UK IT contractors.

So as others have said - who cares?

[Sir Humphrey demonstrates how public surveys can reach opposite conclusions]
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?
                  Bernard Woolley: Yes.
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think there is lack of discipline and vigorous training in our Comprehensive Schools?
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think young people welcome some structure and leadership in their lives?
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do they respond to a challenge?
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Might you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?
                  Bernard Woolley: Er, I might be.
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes or no?
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Of course, after all you've said you can't say no to that. On the other hand, the surveys can reach opposite conclusions.
                  [survey two]
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Are you unhappy about the growth of armaments?
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think there's a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Do you think it's wrong to force people to take arms against their will?
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: Would you oppose the reintroduction of conscription?
                  [does a double-take]
                  Sir Humphrey Appleby: There you are, Bernard. The perfectly balanced sample.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I read the survey a few days ago in the Times, and I can't say I'm terribly impressed.

For example "sympathise" is rather a weak word. For example, it could mean "I can understand why they'd do it, but there's no way I'd do it myself, and if someone was planning to do it, I'd report them to the police". Or it could mean "Die infidel!"

"condone" or "support" would be better, to select a group at random.

E.g. Do you sympathise with those who think that senior HMRC officials should all be put up against a wall and shot in front of their families?

I'm fairly sure that a set of questions could be conjured up that would reveal fairly shocking attitudes among UK IT contractors.

So as others have said - who cares?
                    Given the hideous acts of violence in the name of Islam in the UK, combined with FGM, the wearing of oppressive female clothing, the segregation of worship, honour killings, the rape rings of Rotherham; I would argue that the survey can be linked to real world supportive evidence.

Channel 4 invited writer and former Chair of the Equality and Human Rights Commission Trevor Phillips to analyse and interpret the survey for the documentary. Phillips argues its findings pose profound questions for our society and the implications for future relations between Britain’s Muslim and non-Muslim communities.

Trevor Phillips says: “Hearing what British Muslims themselves think, rather than listening to those purporting to speak on their behalf, is critical if we are to prevent the establishment of a nation within our nation. Many of the results will be troubling to Muslims and non-Muslims alike – and the analysis of the age profile shows us that the social attitudes revealed are unlikely to change quickly.

“The integration of Britain’s Muslims will probably be the hardest task we’ve ever faced. It will require the abandonment of the milk-and-water multiculturalism still so beloved of many, and the adoption of a far more muscular approach to integration.”
                    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 12 April 2016, 18:42.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      ...stuff...
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X