• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online forums are letting "criminal activity go unchecked"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atw View Post
    a review of laws surrounding the "significantly increasing" problem of online abuse is urgently needed, former culture secretary maria miller says.
    FOAD
    HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      No puffins were harmed in the generation of this tag cloud.
      At least none we know of...

Comment

Online abuse is a problem, mostly for the famous (look at Gary Lineker's time line, or the McCann trolls). Some want to use this problem to have a law passed which says "it is illegal to critisize or contradict X", where X is most commonly "the left" or just "my cause". Such a law would be far, far worse than the online abuse we currently tolerate. Society must retain the right to tell some people to just **** off.

IMO online abuse should be dealt with like on-street abuse. Harass a citizen in the street and you will be quickly dealt with for "threatening and abusive" behaviour. Same should apply on line. However, those who make their living from the law, (including large parts of the govt.) always want more laws because it means more business. And passing new laws is popular. Enforcing existing ones isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          Online abuse is a problem, mostly for the famous (look at Gary Lineker's time line, or the McCann trolls). Some want to use this problem to have a law passed which says "it is illegal to critisize or contradict X", where X is most commonly "the left" or just "my cause". Such a law would be far, far worse than the online abuse we currently tolerate. Society must retain the right to tell some people to just **** off.

IMO online abuse should be dealt with like on-street abuse. Harass a citizen in the street and you will be quickly dealt with for "threatening and abusive" behaviour. Same should apply on line. However, those who make their living from the law, (including large parts of the govt.) always want more laws because it means more business. And passing new laws is popular. Enforcing existing ones isn't.

Shut it, or I'll kick your 'ead in.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Yeeeeee Haw!
            This sound like Speedy Gonzalez to me.

Comment

IMO online abuse should be dealt with like on-street abuse. Harass a citizen in the street and you will be quickly dealt with for "threatening and abusive" behaviour. Same should apply on line.
              Fook off you limp wristed, shandy drinking wankpuffin,

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Fook off you limp wristed, shandy drinking wankpuffin,
                The idea when abusing someone online is to make it up. Calling a spade a spade isn't abuse.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Shut it, or I'll kick your 'ead in.
                  That's a threat, not abuse. Threats are a no-no and even the professional Trolls avoid them. This one was obviously a joke though.

The troll "problem" is really just an "anonymity" problem. If a way could be found for everybody's online comments to be accompanied by their name and address (somehow), abuse would virtually come to a halt. I am not quite sure if this would be a good thing or not. People are ashamed if their dodgy online behaviour comes to light, becomes known to their families, peers, employers. One of the McCann trolls was sadly driven to suicide by impending exposure ("sweepyface").

I'm talking about real, professional Trolls here. ie. oddballs who spend 24 hours online following a single celeb and flooding their time lines with incoherent swear words or depraved nonsense. They think they are attacking the celeb, when in fact they are rotting away our free speech. If these proposals made it into law, the Trolls might go away but the SJW's (an even nastier bunch) would become our masters, and critisizing them or contradicting their views would become illegal.

I am not talking about trolling with a small t, which is quite common/funny and happens everywhere and even on this page.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    The idea when abusing someone online is to make it up. Calling a spade a spade isn't abuse.
                    I'd love to stay and troll nluk like a boss, but it's 23:31. Tell you what, come back on Monday I'll see what I can do.

Comment

That's a threat, not abuse. Threats are a no-no and even the professional Trolls avoid them. This one was obviously a joke though.

The troll "problem" is really just an "anonymity" problem. If a way could be found for everybody's online comments to be accompanied by their name and address (somehow), abuse would virtually come to a halt. I am not quite sure if this would be a good thing or not. People are ashamed if their dodgy online behaviour comes to light, becomes known to their families, peers, employers. One of the McCann trolls was sadly driven to suicide by impending exposure ("sweepyface").

I'm talking about real, professional Trolls here. ie. oddballs who spend 24 hours online following a single celeb and flooding their time lines with incoherent swear words or depraved nonsense. They think they are attacking the celeb, when in fact they are rotting away our free speech. If these proposals made it into law, the Trolls might go away but the SJW's (an even nastier bunch) would become our masters, and critisizing them or contradicting their views would become illegal.

I am not talking about trolling with a small t, which is quite common/funny and happens everywhere and even on this page.
                      In the name of God STFU

Regards

Alex
                      1 The Sofas
                      Bedsitland
                      Birmingham
                      B13PX

Comment

Working...
                      X