• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from the tech side to the business side

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The world of tech is looking like this:

Brill ! made a small fortune migrating companies to the Cloud for companies
    I'm now making more wonga moving stuff out of the Cloud for companies

Fill yer bots
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Any advice how to make the transition?
      Watch The Secret of My Success.

Just make sure it's the executive water fountain you're drinking from and not the bidet.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

OP you are describing the phenomena I have recognised in myself over the last 20 years or so..... I call it getting old!
        So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Yes

Shush, they will all want in.

Comment

Yep, pretty much in my last role, turned out to be very lucrative 3.5 years.
            Built a team, mainly of friends, provided tech lead, estimates, crucified people and delivered plenty. I didn't speak to my client co "handler", directly, for the last 4 months.

Bliss
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I've been on the business side for 20 years. I have enough technical skills to be dangerous & excellent business skills. This's means I am normally referred to as shadow IT but I have carved out a niche as an expert in start ups, putting in processes, systems and BI/analytics.

As the startups get bigger I am considered to be a thorn in the side of any CIO and they come gunning. Like now.

Time for a new startup methinks.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Time for a new startup methinks.

I was recently wondering why no one on here tried to organise a CUK startup.

Across the board there's got to be enough skills to fill all the necessary roles.

Even the walters have a chance to prove their worth by helping with the funding or GTFO.

Hardest thing will be coming up with a SKA. That's one's been done.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  I was recently wondering why no one on here tried to organise a CUK startup.

Across the board there's got to be enough skills to fill all the necessary roles.

Even the walters have a chance to prove their worth by helping with the funding or GTFO.

Hardest thing will be coming up with a SKA. That's one's been done.

Because contractors are self centered money grabbers.

There's no way you could get a group to give their time without each one of them wanting a fortune to do it.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Because contractors are self centered money grabbers.

There's no way you could get a group to give their time without each one of them wanting a fortune to do it.

Wouldn't fall for the 'you can have shares instead of money' ruse?

Not many billionaires came out on top from that type of deal.

Comment

Have to admit I feel a certain amount of survivor guilt. I see the pure tech guys out there in the trenches and I feel for them. Place I'm at one of the lead consultants on a key new project just left. I can sympathise with the months of dreadful implementations of dreadful new code that caused him to jump - now they've just lost all that experience at a vital time.

I feel like I've been pulled off the battlefield and now I'm sitting at a desk doing intelligence work while the war is raging on outside (to be overly dramatic).

I'm adding way more value on this side though.

I'd say most people on the business side aren't that strong and the skillset you need to be good on the technical side can really transfer over well (although most people on tech side aren't good). Most people struggle to pick up moderately complex topics quickly, are really poor at communicating those concepts and don't even grasp how important sharing information is. Rather than understanding the nature of complexity and the inevitable difficulties in delivering complex work they blame others or hide.

I remember years ago a bloke I worked with talked about how he wanted to get a cosy middle manager position and put his feet up. It disgusted me a lot - like, is that what you really want from your career? To just be one of the stuffed shirts. A bit of me feels like I've gone that way but just because staying on the battlefield is insane. You can't last, you either give up and settle into mediocrity or burn out. Most people settle from the start though.

But now I'm doing great work, really making a difference, and the worst wound I'm going to get is a bit of internal politics which I've spent years learning how to get round on the tech side anyway. (Again apologies for the ridiculous warfare analogies.)
                      Last edited by DieScum; 16 April 2016, 08:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X