• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting rid of stuff - free cycle etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have had mixed results from things like freecycle.

Like you I think why take my time to lug it the dump when I get someone to collect it from my house?

On the plus side, I've given some stuff away that people have been grateful for. So its nice that someone has found a use for something that has was going to the tip otherwise.

Gave away an old 32" CRT TV to some students who were well happy. Pointless selling it on ebay - no-one wants CRT and they got for about £10 if you're lucky. Weight a ton so too much hassle.

BUT then I've had a few people turn up, cock their noses, and say no thanks not what I'm after. In my book, this is rude when I've made time to ensure I'm in to meet someone.

Its free, if its not the exact shade of green you're after you take the item anyway and then do what you want with it.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Have used Freecycle to get rid of stuff in the past. Will use it again - particularly for garden stuff that you can't take to charity shops.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Have had mixed results from things like freecycle.

Like you I think why take my time to lug it the dump when I get someone to collect it from my house?

On the plus side, I've given some stuff away that people have been grateful for. So its nice that someone has found a use for something that has was going to the tip otherwise.

Gave away an old 32" CRT TV to some students who were well happy. Pointless selling it on ebay - no-one wants CRT and they got for about £10 if you're lucky. Weight a ton so too much hassle.

BUT then I've had a few people turn up, cock their noses, and say no thanks not what I'm after. In my book, this is rude when I've made time to ensure I'm in to meet someone.

Its free, if its not the exact shade of green you're after you take the item anyway and then do what you want with it.
        That's because some people are so entitled they think that complaining about free stuff is acceptable.

Rarely used any of these services - mainly for that reason - it just becomes more hassle than taking it to the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          That's because some people are so entitled they think that complaining about free stuff is acceptable.

Rarely used any of these services - mainly for that reason - it just becomes more hassle than taking it to the tip.
          Undoubtedly my least favourite chore.

They've shut all of the rural sites down round here so I have to go into the nearest town where I normally have to queue round the block & just as I make it to the front they close the gates and take an inordinate amount of time loading a full skip onto the back of a truck before they let me in and fleece me because they decide that something I've never had trouble with disposing of before is now considered "special waste".
          Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 18 April 2016, 09:57.

Comment

When I was emptying my house to be let, I stuck a load of furniture (beds, dining table, tv stand etc..) on our local community site and everything disappeared on the day, very effective.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
              When I was emptying my house to be let, I stuck a load of furniture (beds, dining table, tv stand etc..) on our local community site and everything disappeared on the day, very effective.
              I left a very expensive set of garden furniture out overnight in the garden last summer.

Funnily enough, that disappeared by the next day too

Comment

The other thing to do is stick it at the end of your drive with a "For sale £500" on it. That will make the item disappear overnight.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Gave away a Panasonic VCR, tapes, a lawnmower and a big wicker chair on Freecycle.

My 21" CRT was not giveawayable and sadly went to the "recycle center" after 20 years.

Comment

Freecycle is good in my experience. Vet the replies to see who sounds decent and phone them up (withhold your number if you want). If you're nervous make sure you're not alone when they come.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Couldn't give a kids bike away. Got one call about it - they wanted me to deliver it to Milton Keynes (miles away!)

In the end I took it to the local charity shop who sold it for £50.

Might have to give it another go - got a flat to clear...

Comment

Working...
                      X