• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarkets do not sell unlabelled halal meat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    It means that the chances are it has had its throat slit whilst still conscious.

I wish to avoid that meat but I am not given the information by the supermarkets to do so. So I just don't buy meat from them.
    Halal (and Kosher) killing does seem a bit medieval.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      I seem to recall reading pretty much all NZ lamb is halal killed.

Comment

Blimey, its true...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Everyone should have the information they need to make their own choices.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Find a good butcher and get your meat from them, they should be able to tell you where its from. On the plus side make friends with them and if there is a war you are sure to get the prime cut instead of the usual ration crap.

Stock up on nylons too, works a treat with the ladies. Learn from history!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Used to walk past Bolton Abattoir when I was a kid, the screams from the animals was horrendous.

Not put me off bacon though...

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Find a good butcher and get your meat from them, they should be able to tell you where its from. On the plus side make friends with them and if there is a war you are sure to get the prime cut instead of the usual ration crap.

Stock up on nylons too, works a treat with the ladies. Learn from history!
                Interesting comment on a Telegraph article from someone who claims to be a farmer (tl;dr - find out what abattoir the meat came from and make sure it doesn't have halal certifiction)

The people who write these articles don't understand how the meat industry currently operates in this country. In order for meat to be sold as "halal", most big abattoirs and food companies join a certification scheme run by a number of Muslims bodies. The requirement of these self-appointed Muslim clerics are that the entire production line in an abattoir is dedicated to halal production, stunned or non-stunned. So the big abattoir companies in the UK ( which supply supermarkets and slaughter 50% of the 14 million lamb and sheep killed for food each year in this country) have to run their entire production as halal in order for any of the meat to "qualify" as halal for the Muslim consumer. A fee for certification is paid for each animal slaughtered, and these Muslims certification bodies ( usually run as charities for tax purposes) donate a percentage of their fee income to Islamic Charities, many of which have been suspected by the US and UK Governments of being connected with the possible support of terrorism.

This is why the meat you buy in the supermarkets is halal, whether you like it or not.
                The decision on whether to stun an animal in accordance with the law is made by the abattoir depending on their customer requirements, with no need to justify the numbers subjected to non-stun slaughter nor the religious beliefs of the final consumer. Many abattoirs have told me they will perform non-stun slaughter merely if asked - one told me that they do it because there is nothing in the enforcement of the law to stop them, despite it being very clear that the exemption from the legal requirement to stun is " by Jews and Muslims for the food of Jews and Muslims". They can also slaughter without stunning for the export market, despite the intention of the exemption from the legal requirement to stun being for domestic UK consumption only.

As a Soil Association organic beef and sheep farmer, I take great care with the rearing of my animals and have discovered that once my animals arrive at an abattoir which is "halal certified"as well as Soil Association certified, I cannot guarantee that they will be stunned correctly prior to being killed by bleeding out, as that decision rests solely in the hands of the abattoir. It is worse if I sell my animals at market, as I have no idea where the buyer will send them for slaughter. I also found that an abattoir can register itself as Red Tractor Assured, Soil Association assured ( both of which require stunning prior to slaughter) merely by slaughtering a handful of animals correctly and there is no control over the extent of non-stun slaughter for the remainder of their production, which can be tens of thousands a week in a big abattoir. Also, labelling meat as Halal does not differentiate between stunned or non-stunned.

There are moves in the meat and livestock industry to force the farmers, livestock hauliers and feed manufacturers to be certified as "Halal Compliant", with a payment of a fee to the Islamic Certification bodies, to make the entire supply chain Halal, not just the slaughter process.

In my opinion as a farmer, to protect the good name of English Beef and Lamb, non-stun slaughter must be banned, and Halal certified slaughter stopped for the mainstream meat supply chain.

Comment

Interesting comment on a Telegraph article from someone who claims to be a farmer (tl;dr - find out what abattoir the meat came from and make sure it doesn't have halal certifiction)
                  Thanks for sharing.

Comment

So only buy from an abattoir that also kills pigs.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think it's a disgrace - taking away the livelihoods of kosher/halal small businesses like that.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X