• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain would go to the ‘back of the queue' for US trade deals post-Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Either way we seem to have Germans trying to tell us what to do....
    You'd prefer Murdoch to make your decisions?

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/art...t--WyMaFTE890x

I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. 'That’s easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It took Barack Obama to crush the Brexit fantasy
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Seems obvious to me. And it's not just Obama, the Republicans think the same. I've posted about this at length today on this forum, even before he said what he said.
        It's all about clout, economic power and the size of markets. That's the world we live in. Why the shock and surprise? What would you do if you were US president?
        And to the OP who talks about going to war, economic weakness is not conducive to military power.
        So we are leaving NATO now?
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

It will actually have the opposite effect . The British do not like being told what to do by the Americans
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            It will actually have the opposite effect . The British do not like being told what to do by the Americans
            Really? Actually they may not like it but will bend over backwards to appease the USA though...

The United Kingdom has sometimes been called the 51st state due to the "special relationship" between the two countries, particularly since the close cooperation between Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill during World War II, and more recently continued during the premierships of Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair.

In a December 29, 2011, column in The Times, David Aaronovitch said in jest that the UK should consider joining the United States, as the British population cannot accept union with Europe and the UK would inevitably decline on its own. He also made an alternative case that England, Scotland, Wales should be three separate states, with Northern Ireland joining the Republic of Ireland and becoming an all-Ireland state.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You only have to look at who dislikes Obama's record as president to make an informed decision about whether he has been good or bad although in his own words, it'll be ten years before he is sure himself.

While it does smack of Cameron pulling in a favour, the US is entirely entitled to state its opinions about Brexit and these sort of veiled threats are pretty standard.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                While it does smack of Cameron pulling in a favour, the US is entirely entitled to state its opinions about Brexit and these sort of veiled threats are pretty standard.
                So that would make Cameron entitled to travel to USA and make his opinion known about Trump, for example?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  So that would make Cameron entitled to travel to USA and make his opinion known about Trump, for example?
                  Politicians in Australia, China and India have all said roughly the same thing.
                  Why on earth do people think a country of 60 million will go to the front of the queue compared with a region of 450 million?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Politicians in Australia, China and India have all said roughly the same thing.
                    Why on earth do people think a country of 60 million will go to the front of the queue compared with a region of 450 million?
                    Although those 60 million do happen to be the 5th largest economy in the World.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      Although those 60 million do happen to be the 5th largest economy in the World.
                      Perhaps it might help if i rephrased my comment:

Why on earth would a region with the 5th largest economy in the world and a GDP of about 1 trillion go to the front of the queue compared with a region with the first or second largest economy and a combined GDP of 17 trillion?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X