• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency mis-use of 'representation'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Easy, tell them they have your permission to represent yor for a period of (say) 48 hours.

Then if no feedback go with another agent under same terms.
    This. I always add the sentence "provided my CV will be forwarded to the end customer within 3 working days"

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      This. I always add the sentence "provided my CV will be forwarded to the end customer within 3 working days"
      And if you think they will pay any attention to that clause, best of luck to you...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        And if you think they will pay any attention to that clause, best of luck to you...
        That's their problem. It gives me the freedom to go to another agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Been there myself. It's not often you can trust an agency to find the best 2 or 3 CVs from a batch of, let's face it, possibly several hundred.
          That sums it up nicely.

Comment

Agents like a contractor with a track record of extensions - effort-free commission churn for them.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Paying Devils advocate - How about I let every agent represent me for every role at every customer?

(... "as far as I recall I have not been put forward for this role already").

(... "they already have my CV? sorry about that, I must have forgotten")

After all - my objective is to get the gig - not stick to imaginary rules, that don't benefit me (as in this case).

Then when I'm successful, someone else can sort-out which CV arrived first.

(just asking)

Richard
              Last edited by richard101; 3 May 2016, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by richard101 View Post
                Then when I'm successful, someone else can sort-out which CV arrived first.
                The simplest way for the client to sort out which agency they need to contract with is to say "I can't be bothered with this mess, I'll pick someone else"
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  The simplest way for the client to sort out which agency they need to contract with is to say "I can't be bothered with this mess, I'll pick someone else"
                  Which is exactly what happened to me. Applied to a bank in Cheshire and a financial services client in Manchester. Turned out to be the same client. Managed to secure two interviews in the same day unfortunately and it all kicked off and I didn't get to either as the client washed their hands of it.

Don't play agents off. You are the end of the chain so the one that will cop the fall out.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Indeed, the reality being that we as contractors can do the square root of shag all on this issue. It's always been that way and there's nothing likely to happen that can change it.

Get over it, deal with it or get upset about it, it doesn't matter what you do.

Comment

Working...
                    X