• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a house next to busy road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Works for me...

It is not a Porsche truck parked outside the house

Comment

Made in China

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Here are some real homes....

Comment

Never know, if he buys it he may get to see this sort of stupidity

Driver crashes new £215,000 McLaren just 10 minutes after taking delivery

Mind you £550k for a house on a major A road seems to be totally insane.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Bikers quite like the small hours too. Especially those without silencers on their bikes attempting to hit the magic 200mph mark.
            Ah but they don't tend to last very long if someone spills diesel on the road. And like others have said of the trains real toys like Porsches AMG's or M3/5's are never around long enough to annoy you. Although we had some ****** turn himself into a deep floor pizza a while back. Judging by the marks they hit a badger or other animal and then a drystone wall at three figures. There wasn't enough left to scrape up. Plenty more where they came from...

The interesting thing is that every one here seems to think that living in a quiet place is guaranteed. All you need is a kid with a decent hifi or biker ****** to turn up and start spending their Saturdays revving their bike outside their garage while trying to tune it and your life is ruined.

We had a case in the area a while back where some chap was terribly put out when the guy next door built a scrambler track in his field and let the kids spend every waking hour burning around on their motor cross bikes. Im guessing that he thought he bought a nice quiet house too. Of course once you have had to get your neighbours issued with an ASBO your house will loose as much as being on a road anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              The interesting thing is that every one here seems to think that living in a quiet place is guaranteed. It's true, all you need is a baseball bat and a balaklava
              FTFY

Comment

It's a personal thing but I would always pay more to avoid the main road. I was brought up in a house about 75 yards from a dual carriageway but that was different somehow. It was well below the house level with open fields beyond the road. Somehow the acoustics worked, but I feel that was the exception. Traffic passed with just a light "swish", even before the days of double glazing. Also engines were smaller then.

Trains are different. I have heard track side dwellers say after getting used to a train every 15 minutes they don't hear it any more.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  It's a personal thing but I would always pay more to avoid the main road. I was brought up in a house about 75 yards from a dual carriageway but that was different somehow. It was well below the house level with open fields beyond the road. Somehow the acoustics worked, but I feel that was the exception. Traffic passed with just a light "swish", even before the days of double glazing. Also engines were smaller then.

Trains are different. I have heard track side dwellers say after getting used to a train every 15 minutes they don't hear it any more.
                  Yep, when I cannot hear the trains at my parents unless I listen out for them and I moved away 26 years ago. In fact the only time I hear them is when explicitly listening out for its arrival (it gives me a 10 minutes warning for the 3 minute walk to the station to catch its return to London)
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    FTFY
                    Sounds a bit dramatic just to have peace and quiet.

I needed a tow home last year after I hit a pot hole and blew my tyre. The chap that collected me was going over a few war stories and he mentioned a chap in Corsham. Apparently the guy spent the Saturday afternoon tuning his bike then running it off up the road for a quick speed test, all was going well until his last run. The guy had a t shirt and shorts on and wasn't really paying attention properly he got his knee down on a bend at what sounded like a fair speed. Unfortunately he had strayed over the lines and caught the wing or pillar of something just as fast coming the other way...

Then they had to mop up the rest of it

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      Sounds a bit dramatic just to have peace and quiet.
                      A lot more affordable than a nice detached house in a leafy area with good schools and Waitrose...

Comment

Working...
                      X