• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a house next to busy road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a house next to busy road

Suggestions on buying a house that is on an "A" road separated by a slip road and green. So the house is about 10-15 feet away from the main (busy) A road (with the slip road and be green in between the house and the " A" road) The house itself is awesome. The compromise is on the road. How noisy will it be? is it worth the buy? Value of the house is £550,000. Thanks
    Last edited by vik845; 3 May 2016, 12:48.

Originally posted by vik845 View Post
    Suggestions on buying a house that is on an "A" road separated by a slip road and green. So the house is about 10-15 feet away from the main (busy) A road (with the slip road and be green in between the house and the " A" road) The house itself is awesome. The compromise is on the road. How noisy will it be? is it worth the buy? Thanks

Who knows!

The way to find out is to go there and see what the traffic is like.
    Also, are the bedrooms at the front or the back of the house?
    Is there a big enough garden out the back for it not to be an issue?
    Do you have children/pets who you would worry about running onto the road?
    Is it near a school?
    Is it near a nightclub?
    Is it near a railway station?
    Is parking an issue in the area?
    Is it under a flightpath?
    etc.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Get a deckchair and go sit next to a busy A road for a few hours and see... worth a buy? Me? Not a ******* chance in hell. There is a reason it's in your price bracket and the one that is in the country side isn't. Remember the old saying about properties? Location and all that....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is it near a school? - no
        Is it near a nightclub? - no
        Is it near a railway station? - no
        Is parking an issue in the area? - no
        Is it under a flightpath? - no

There is one bedroom in front rest two are at back, garden is 100 feet plus

Comment

Never buy a house on a main road - cul-de-sac or with acres of land if possible

Also make sure it's on an elevated position to avoid flooding
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I am having similar concerns about a house that has mainline train tracks running behind the back garden. Again, a really good house - for BTL - in many ways: it's big, will make a great HMO and is less than 10 minutes walk to station (trains to London take 20 minutes) and town.

I wonder if triple-glazed windows might make a difference.

If I was buying for myself/family to live in then I wouldn't even consider it, but as a multi-let it seems good.
            Last edited by ChimpMaster; 3 May 2016, 12:48.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Get a deckchair and go sit next to a busy A road for a few hours and see... worth a buy? Me? Not a ******* chance in hell. There is a reason it's in your price bracket and the one that is in the country side isn't. Remember the old saying about properties? Location and all that....
              Whs. A busy road is an absolute no no in my book. Houses like the one you describe only really sell at the peak of the market, the downside when you want to move is too great
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Suggestions on buying a house that is on an "A" road separated by a slip road and green. So the house is about 10-15 feet away from the main (busy) A road (with the slip road and be green in between the house and the " A" road) The house itself is awesome. The compromise is on the road. How noisy will it be? is it worth the buy? Thanks
                First. How can anyone but you possibly answer that?
                • We don't know your tolerance to noise.
                • We don't know how busy the road is.
                • We don't know how "Awesome" the house is.

Second. It's not just the noise to consider. You'll be breathing in a lot of exhaust fumes as well.

Thirdly. Do you like the idea of sitting in your garden, on a warm, sunny evening, drinking wine and listening to cars?

Fourth. There's no such thing as an awesome house ( ok, there probably is ). Houses are rarely unique, they are commodity items, this one might tick some boxes for you, but I'm sure you'd find some other equally great places given enough looking.

Finally. Location, location, location.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  I am having similar concerns about a house that has mainline train tracks running behind the back garden. Again, a really good house for BTL.
                  Can't you compel the train company /Network Rail to install acoustic barriers
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

There is one bedroom in front rest two are at back, garden is 100 feet plus
                    Buy the house, knock it down and then re-build it 100 feet further back: you'll then be 115 feet away from the main road

Comment

Working...
                    X