• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you deal with…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The Iceni were a bit dodgy until Boudicca sorted them out, no question about that.

As for the OP, what's the actual problem? If you detect BS, call them out. Have you got any evidence of it? Are they failing to deliver?
    Very large project, lots of moving parts. Different parts delivering at different times.
    Example: Team abc, we need your team to generate some data so we can test our interface works with real data.
    My team member launches in dire tribe. Attempts to interrupt are met with "I know, but …" or some other rebuff and then they carry on.
    They only stop once it is apparent that everyone at the table has lost the will to live.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      Very large project, lots of moving parts. Different parts delivering at different times.
      Example: Team abc, we need your team to generate some data so we can test our interface works with real data.
      My team member launches in dire tribe. Attempts to interrupt are met with "I know, but …" or some other rebuff and then they carry on.
      They only stop once it is apparent that everyone at the table has lost the will to live.
      Great. Two things I would suggest :

1. They say all the worlds a stage. So you give your best performance of the sympathetic colleague. Listen to their waffle. Make sympathetic noises. Nod understandingly.

2. When they have finished, you then press them gently for when they can deliver. Don't stop until you get a date.

Rinse and repeat every meeting until the PM HAS to step in.

You are simply vending him/her rope, so let them take as much as they need.

Actually HTH.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

1. They say all the worlds a stage. So you give your best performance of the sympathetic colleague. Listen to their waffle. Make sympathetic noises. Nod understandingly.

2. When they have finished, you then press them gently for when they can deliver. Don't stop until you get a date.

Actually HTH.
        Standing up and put all the items on a white board and ask for dates.

Nothing like someone hovering over a white board to grab attention.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Said individual is well out of their depth I'm guessing?
          You're the one who should know.

Comment

Actually HTH.
            Thanks for the suggestion.
            I was looking at cost allocations etc. and notice that their code numbers were different for other people on the team. When I made further enquiries I found out that they are on "loan" to us from another dept. fab. So someone else could not deal, and transferred to my project as we were short on resources. Ok let's not bother trying stuff that has been tried before and has not worked.
            Removed all tasks and invites to meetings, assigned new role. All Adhoc request for support forwarded. I can "loan" to other teams.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              Thanks for the suggestion.
              I was looking at cost allocations etc. and notice that their code numbers were different for other people on the team. When I made further enquiries I found out that they are on "loan" to us from another dept. fab. So someone else could not deal, and transferred to my project as we were short on resources. Ok let's not bother trying stuff that has been tried before and has not worked.
              Removed all tasks and invites to meetings, assigned new role. All Adhoc request for support forwarded. I can "loan" to other teams.
              Ok now you need to tread lightly. You know they know how tulip they are. If you get them loaned out to yet another team, they will know who did it.

Given that client co don't ge rid of tulip, they're clearly very weak and risk averse. They like to go with the flow. I'm afraid it sounds like you have to do likewise.

Have you tried discussing this with your pm quietly? Could they get less critical tasks to work on?
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Hire Suity. He will sort them out.

HTH, BIFDI

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  Hire Suity. He will sort them out.

HTH, BIFDI
                  He's already been loaned in by another department.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    He's already been loaned in by another department.
                    Facilities department doesn't count

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                      Facilities department doesn't count
                      Someone has to restock the crunchie machine in the officers' mess.

Comment

Working...
                      X