• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

online share trading

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What are the fees and how do they compare with an ETF? I always found funds to be more expensive, because you have to pay for a few "fund managers" who do nothing/lose money, a couple of billion each to live in mansions somewhere.
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What's the yields like?

I filter them by <0.5% per year. Net ongoing charge (after HL discount) is the number to watch for. There are no charges for buying/selling. Obviously higher yield better depending on risk. Yields OK-ish around 3-7%. That is for income/accumulation funds.

Fund Finder | Search & compare over 2,600 funds | Browse prices

Bit wary of getting into the stock market at the moment - excepy for gold/precious metal companies/funds.

Still haven't formulated the ISA/SIPP strategies yet TBH - I want growth in the pension and income/growth in ISA. While there is uncertainty (Impending doom) in stocks I'm adopting the income accumulation = growth approach.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Monevator — Make more money, invest profitably, retire early - read this a lot....

Consider Value cost averaging not dollar cost, it sets a value to get to each month and you therefore end up automatically buying more when the market has dropped and less when the market is up - which takes the emotion out of it and makes you buy low. It works a treat and takes away a lot of the concern about short term market movements that plague beginners.
      As mentioned, lowest cost etf's/indexes are recommended (Vanguard global etf !), funds are expensive sales vehicles (maybe apart from Vanguard Lifestrategy which is well worth a look), see survivor bias, impact of hidden (and not hidden costs)(could be taking 50% of any return !) over time its huge...

Comment

Working...
      X