• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poor contract (no work, low rate) vs Bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor contract (no work, low rate) vs Bench

This is the dilemma I am currently facing - contract I am currently in is very slow going. There is no literally work currently (and only so much surfing you can do) and the rate is lower than normal. I took the role in order to add an additional skillset to my bow, although need the work to develop the skillset !

Part of me thinks I should hit the bench, have a bit of a break, and refocus on securing another contract, albeit conscious of the difficult market currently.

Tricky one - any thoughts to get my motivation up ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    This is the dilemma I am currently facing - contract I am currently in is very slow going. There is no literally work currently (and only so much surfing you can do) and the rate is lower than normal. I took the role in order to add an additional skillset to my bow, although need the work to develop the skillset !

Part of me thinks I should hit the bench, have a bit of a break, and refocus on securing another contract, albeit conscious of the difficult market currently.

See if they will let you work part time until it picks up? With the Euros starting today it would be a win win!

Comment

Look for a new contract before deciding to bench it, unless you've got a massive war chest.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Seems daft to turn down the cash when you could use the time which should have been spent earning it to train up, so to speak. I agree, turning up every day to find you have virtually nothing to do can be somewhat de-motivating, but be creative...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Seems daft to turn down the cash when you could use the time which should have been spent earning it to train up, so to speak. I agree, turning up every day to find you have virtually nothing to do can be somewhat de-motivating, but be creative...
          Yes, these contracts can be a gift. Use the time to build proof of concept / learning in the skills you are there to pickup. You are getting paid to learn useful things.

Comment

Kaiser kaiser kaiser, have we taught you nothing? You are a contractor. You invoice therefore you are.

If the gig's tulipe, book a week long holiday in the sun and take a week off somewhere mid contract. You are not depleting your warchest, but adding to it, and you give yourself something to look forward to to help those long boring days pass.

Now off you pop. X
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

What is your notice period?

I am on a dead man walking project here, but only have to give two weeks so actively looking, won't jump until I am pushed as money is money
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Kaiser kaiser kaiser, have we taught you nothing? You are a contractor. You invoice therefore you are.

If the gig's tulipe, book a week long holiday in the sun and take a week off somewhere mid contract. You are not depleting your warchest, but adding to it, and you give yourself something to look forward to to help those long boring days pass.

Now off you pop. X
                I did that last week and so have only been back a week for my new found motivation to erode...

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Now off you pop. X
                  So does that mean those on the bench are not real contractors
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    What is your notice period?

I am on a dead man walking project here, but only have to give two weeks so actively looking, won't jump until I am pushed as money is money
                    2 weeks notice as well for me but the idea was that when this contract had properly ended to have a long break then. Have been in limbo for the past 4-5 weeks - am very nearly at the point of seeing what Mumsnet is up to

Comment

Working...
                    X