Poor contract (no work, low rate) vs Bench Poor contract (no work, low rate) vs Bench
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 28

Super poster

kaiser78 is NOT a disguised employee

Default Poor contract (no work, low rate) vs Bench

This is the dilemma I am currently facing - contract I am currently in is very slow going. There is no literally work currently (and only so much surfing you can do) and the rate is lower than normal. I took the role in order to add an additional skillset to my bow, although need the work to develop the skillset !

Part of me thinks I should hit the bench, have a bit of a break, and refocus on securing another contract, albeit conscious of the difficult market currently.

Tricky one - any thoughts to get my motivation up ?

Super poster

SlipTheJab is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser78 View Post
    This is the dilemma I am currently facing - contract I am currently in is very slow going. There is no literally work currently (and only so much surfing you can do) and the rate is lower than normal. I took the role in order to add an additional skillset to my bow, although need the work to develop the skillset !

Part of me thinks I should hit the bench, have a bit of a break, and refocus on securing another contract, albeit conscious of the difficult market currently.

See if they will let you work part time until it picks up? With the Euros starting today it would be a win win!

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Look for a new contract before deciding to bench it, unless you've got a massive war chest.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

Godlike

Mordac is a fount of knowledge

Seems daft to turn down the cash when you could use the time which should have been spent earning it to train up, so to speak. I agree, turning up every day to find you have virtually nothing to do can be somewhat de-motivating, but be creative...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    Seems daft to turn down the cash when you could use the time which should have been spent earning it to train up, so to speak. I agree, turning up every day to find you have virtually nothing to do can be somewhat de-motivating, but be creative...
    Yes, these contracts can be a gift. Use the time to build proof of concept / learning in the skills you are there to pickup. You are getting paid to learn useful things.

Potty-trained

suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

Kaiser kaiser kaiser, have we taught you nothing? You are a contractor. You invoice therefore you are.

If the gig's tulipe, book a week long holiday in the sun and take a week off somewhere mid contract. You are not depleting your warchest, but adding to it, and you give yourself something to look forward to to help those long boring days pass.

Now off you pop. X
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

What is your notice period?

I am on a dead man walking project here, but only have to give two weeks so actively looking, won't jump until I am pushed as money is money
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Kaiser kaiser kaiser, have we taught you nothing? You are a contractor. You invoice therefore you are.

If the gig's tulipe, book a week long holiday in the sun and take a week off somewhere mid contract. You are not depleting your warchest, but adding to it, and you give yourself something to look forward to to help those long boring days pass.

Now off you pop. X
    I did that last week and so have only been back a week for my new found motivation to erode...

TykeLike

SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post

Now off you pop. X
    So does that mean those on the bench are not real contractors
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    What is your notice period?

I am on a dead man walking project here, but only have to give two weeks so actively looking, won't jump until I am pushed as money is money
    2 weeks notice as well for me but the idea was that when this contract had properly ended to have a long break then. Have been in limbo for the past 4-5 weeks - am very nearly at the point of seeing what Mumsnet is up to