• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Education on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What's an O level?
    Not sure. My expertise is mostly around A-Levels.

Comment

OP

I have sod all qualifications, I left school at 14, trained as a blacksmith, got called up and was fighting in Berlin end of 1945 I then spent another 10 years in various Far Eastern campaigns came back to the UK as a Sergeant Major quit the army in 1967 after 22 years service. Entered civvy life and worked for loads of tulip outfits starting from the bottom such as DER pushing rental televisions but eventually became a senior civil servant at Kent Fire brigade HQ until I retired...

Hang on nope that wasn't me that was my Dad but I hope you get the point!

Me I have a bunch of CSEs from the 70's and a 4 year apprenticeship neither of which has any bearing on the type of work I do today.
      What I do have is years and years of experience and a CV listing quite a few excellent companies that I have been privileged to work with over the years.
      My CV tells the story of what I have done and who for, and that gets me the foot in the door for interviews not any form of often rapidly out of date bits of paper.

Now I appreciate the younger you are the more important supplementing experience with qualification is but as you get older it becomes far less important in the real world imho.
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

I stick the education stuff in eight point type at the bottom of the last page, just on the off-chance anybody's interested.

I went (on a state scholarship) to the kind of school where you might well get your foot in the door somewhere because of the old school tie thing. It's never happened yet, but there's no harm in having it there.

And about twenty years ago I got the permie job that brought me my first web development (as opposed to non-web software development) projects primarily because of my degree in philosophy: it was a very small company and the MD had always wanted to do a degree in philosophy himself, which is why my CV made it into the "interview" pile

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          Not sure. My expertise is mostly around A-Levels.
          i met a girl that had loads of A and O experience

Comment

Who are you selling to? Agents or Clients?

If Clients, i've written one or two case studies. Elevates you from the crowd as does an established online profile. Cv's are dead.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What's an O level?
              It's what you used to get in the oldun days. Can't even remember how many I got, tbh, and if anyone ever asked I'd just make something up. If I have no chance of finding my certificates, then no-one else does...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

What's an O level?
                I think it's a tool with a bubble in a fluid. Tells you if you're on the level or not. But realistically you'll never be on the level with those qualifications.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I've got a degree, not related to programming in anyway, still never stopped me. Experience and recent projects are more important.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I've got a degree, not related to programming in anyway, still never stopped me. Experience and recent projects are more important.
                    Funnily enough the organisations I worked and contracted at that insisted on degrees didn't give a tulip what the degree was in.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Having the degree is important for sure, shows you have aptitude for study and cheap living.

Comment

Working...
                      X