• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit win - 11 threads into one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    What % of Joe Public would a) read and b) understand the implications of the treaty? Compare that with the number of people who would get the gist from a Littlejohn "you couldn't make it up" rant.

Seems to me that we'd all end up winning the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.
    Exactly - we'd have the Death Penalty on Monday and Nuke Iran on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      So, what shall we do on Wednesday?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Evidence?

My impression is that large groups of people tend to make conservative decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Evidence?

BBC News - Does the public want the death penalty brought back?

"He cites opinion polls which suggest about half the population would like it re-introduced for murderers. This rises to 60% when it comes to child or police officer killers."

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          My impression is that large groups of people tend to make conservative decisions.
          Evidence?

Comment

A referendum would be a bad idea. people will vote not on the topics but according to party political lines or grievances - very few will be capable of making an informed and objective decision about the EU. The problem is that this government has seemingly done nothing to resolve the concerns about the EU. Had they done something about the Agency worker regulations or other EU laws then maybe we could believe that they were fighting our corner from within. They have done nothing which is why Joe Public is becoming impatient
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

How can anyone argue for a referendum without knowing what question they want to ask?

Will it propose bringing a few powers back to the UK and if so which ones, leaving the EU altogether, or something in between and if so what?

It has to be defined precisely and simply, otherwise results will be worthless.

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                  Face it - the British people want out of Europe. The MPs want in because it's a massive gravy-train for them and also an ego-trip.

If we pull out of Europe, we can finally run our own country without being over-ruled by European law. First we could put a stop to all immigration, then that would quickly reduce the housing shortage, reduce the cost of the welfare state, and probably reduce crime too. Job done!
                  Which country would that be?

The Scots want independence, as do the Welsh!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Which country would that be?

The Scots want independence, as do the Welsh!
                    eh? No fekcer asked me.

Comment

It is perfectly true that some issues like the economy and tackling criminality are far too complex to be subject to public opinion, but when you look at some major government policy over the last few decades there are some disastrous ones that public opinion would have saved us from like EU membership, invasions of Iraq/Afghanistan, massive immigration and billions on foreign aid.
                      Last edited by xoggoth; 25 October 2011, 17:05.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X