• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit and Freedom of Movement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit and Freedom of Movement

Been chatting to a friend of mine, he's a bit of geek re: EU and EU driectives etc, this is interesting, perhaps it's what will happen..

"Before 1992, freedom of movement was restricted to workers. I believe (I could be wrong) work permits (equivalent to the T2G visas) were issued to EEA citizens on providing proof that they had a job offer in the UK. They could come to the UK with their family (the Surinder Singh case is from 1992), but it did not give an independent right to settle down. Settlement would be under the then UK Immigration Rules"

That's fair enough in my book....

And the pensioners in Spain?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Nuke them?

Comment

I'm sure they used to emigrate there back in the 80's - remember TV comedy series 'Don't Drink The Water'? It was shiiiittt.....

Comment

Jean-Claude Juncker said that expats are going to lose their pensions and health care.

linky (post at 8.25)

I'm sure that'd be against EU rules though. Maybe they can all buy cats and claim it's an assault on their right to family life?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Been chatting to a friend of mine, he's a bit of geek re: EU and EU driectives etc, this is interesting, perhaps it's what will happen..

"Before 1992, freedom of movement was restricted to workers. I believe (I could be wrong) work permits (equivalent to the T2G visas) were issued to EEA citizens on providing proof that they had a job offer in the UK. They could come to the UK with their family (the Surinder Singh case is from 1992), but it did not give an independent right to settle down. Settlement would be under the then UK Immigration Rules"

That's fair enough in my book....
            That's my understanding as well, which Hannan in that interview should have been clearer about: this 'free movement of labour' is something akin to the current Tier-2 visas that is in place for non-EU citizens, albeit without the annual cap.

Comment

Working...
            X