• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attempted Turkish coup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45000 coupe plotters rounded up so far

Turkey coup attempt: Crackdown toll passes 50,000 - BBC News

Maybe if they'd all joined in then the coup would have worked.

Whatever Erdogan's game plan is I have a bad feeling about it. Is it all a ploy to change Turkey into a less democratic and more ISIS supporting cesspit of extremist religious nutters? If so at least that EU visa waiver isn't in play yet, and looking even less likely they'll ever join the EU, if the EU is still worth joining in a few years.

The Pentagon said that talks also took place on Tuesday between Defence Secretary Ash Carter and his Turkish counterpart regarding the Incirlik air base in southern Turkey.
    The base, which is used by a US-led coalition fighting so-called Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, has been without power since the coup attempt.
    An airbase that just happens to have nukes.

Maybe that WWIII thread has legs after all, with Turkey reportedly (not sure where but read it somewhere) threatening the USA if they don't hand over that Gulen guy they suspect of being behind the coup attempt. Yanks wanting proof of involvement before extradition but Turkey saying suspicion is proof enough.

I was going to say "Tom Clancy's next novel is writing itself" but didn't realise he died in 2013.

Edit: As you can see by the actual title of the link above, it's now over 50k. They're moving fast, it was 45k honest guv when I started writing this post.
    Last edited by Hobosapien; 20 July 2016, 06:54.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

And the Turkish Navy seems to have disappeared
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

An airbase that just happens to have nukes.
        I'm rather surprised Russia allows this.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Not sure NATO ask their permission.

I did wonder if some of what is going on is Russia trying to get NATO to kick Turkey out. Lots of angles for the paranoid to worry over.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Turkey has been part of NATO since 1952....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Got to wonder if they'll remain part of nato until before the year is out.

A nuclear armed islamic state on our doorstep.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Got to wonder if they'll remain part of nato until before the year is out.

A nuclear armed islamic state on our doorstep.
                How do they have nukes???
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  How do they have nukes???
                  The US airbase could be overrun by fundamentalists.

Comment

No problem they could stick the Nukes on a Toyota pick up and launch them from anywhere
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Hence my worry why the air base is without power and according to the same report there are Turkish authorities searching the base for coup sympathisers. Hope the yanks check them for nukes on the way out.

I presume it's the yanks that have the nukes so if they leave so do the nukes, rather than Turkey being a nuclear power in its own right.

Comment

Working...
                      X