• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There's ARM less then.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sophie Wilson, designer of the Acorn Microcomputer and the ARM instruction set.
    If you've ever used a BBC Micro, you've got this guy/gal to thank.

Before the snip (Roger Wilson, appearance starts at 7:45):

After the snip (Sophie Wilson)

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
      Would never happen if it was a French or German firm. Funny how those who shouted 'We want control, we want our country back yada yada yada' are the first to accept a foreign company picking up a major UK firm.

If you had half a brain you would be able to work out that having control has nothing nothing to do with actual policies. The UK has agreed that investors are welcome from any part of the world. You seem to think that having control equals shutting off the rest of the world. it does not.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Herman Hauser seems less than overjoyed about it.
        It is nothing to do with him. Presumably he sold it and made a packet - he is hardly in a position to deny others the same privilege.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          If you had half a brain you would be able to work out that having control has nothing nothing to do with actual policies. The UK has agreed that investors are welcome from any part of the world. You seem to think that having control equals shutting off the rest of the world. it does not.
          Angels and minsters of grace defend us.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

As for Sophie (s)he went on to create Acorn Replay. Now that is tech that the US and everyone else still has not beaten. Pity you need Acorn Kit (and lots of it) to take advantage. Anyone got it running on a raspberry pi yet?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              It IPOed which generally means he made a packet.

If only I'd bought those Acorn shares at 2p back in the day.

Rich beyond the dreams of avarice.
              But would you be happy?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Major EU nations like Germany and France would never allow a foreign purchase of a major strategic company. You a Brexit fanatic have no problem with it. Makes me wonder exactly what yokels like you mean when you wrap yourselves in the union jack and start frothing 'Take back control...'

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                  Major EU nations like Germany and France would never allow a foreign purchase of a major strategic company. You a Brexit fanatic have no problem with it. Makes me wonder exactly what yokels like you mean when you wrap yourselves in the union jack and start frothing 'Take back control...'
                  First of all I am not a Brexit fanatic. You are making lazy assumptions that Brexiters are "wrap yourselves in the union jack and start frothing" types suits the narrative of the Remainers who lack any real counter arguments to the Brexit POV. "Taking control" for those of you who really do not understand English does not mean closing borders and wrapping yourself in a National flag. I can see pros and cons of allowing foreign companies to buy up key assets in the UK. I happen to think on balance fair enough as the climate of business it creates is to encourage entrepreneurial activity. Clearly it has its downsides such as entrusting foreign companies to build Nuclear power plants etc.

You do not really have any understanding of why people voted to leave the EU do you?

Comment

Today I got the cash from the ARM sale. Bought at £9.99 a share, sold at £17 a share. Ker-ching!
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Today I got the cash from the ARM sale. Bought at £9.99 a share, sold at £17 a share. Ker-ching!
                      Dirty spekulant.

AtW

Comment

Working...
                      X